• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10 month Olive Oil soak for copper results! TOOTHPICKED! ARGH!

26 posts in this topic

Well I took this FEC that I got fairly cheap on ebay, that had some verdigris issues. I decided to soak it in olive oil in Jan. of this year. It was suggested that I show results if any. I'm thinking the first pics are a little too bright originally. The after pics are closer to what the coin looks like in-hand. Still can't tell if there was much of a change. What do ya'll think??

Before!!

1857FECCentObvRev.jpg

After 10 months.

1857FEC10mooliveoil.jpg

Doesn't look like much of the crud came off. Looks like you're going to have to do some digging with a toothpick. ( Conder101 suggested using a rose thorn, and I think OT3 uses an orange stick.)

I agree there wasn't much change at all. I did nothing to them other than let them soak. I may try a toothpick one day to see if I can remove some. Right now they are back in the jar of olive oil again.

I think there is perceptible improvement!

There might be some little improvement but I don't think much. I decided to take a toothpick to it ealier and was able to fade some of the verdigris but not elliviate it. You would think that after 10 months in oil that it would have softend better. It may be too deep and already has permanent damage to the coin. (shrug)

Bobby,

I think if you had used a thorn/toothpick or whatever monthly you would have had a completely different outcome. The olive oil does soften and loosen the verdigris, but without an agent to force it away from the copper it can't disperse it by itself-it just needs a little help, monthly.

Jim

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Right now they are back in the jar of olive oil again.

Try adding a little vinegar and some croutons. :grin:

The after looks better, more of what one would expect from a well circulated example. Keep us posted on additional progress. Personally I like crud in and around the devices but to each collector his/her own.

Right now they are back in the jar of olive oil again.

Try adding a little vinegar and some croutons. :grin:

Alright David. Are the Garlic croutons ok? lol

Bobby,

I think if you had used a thorn/toothpick or whatever monthly you would have had a completely different outcome. The olive oil does soften and loosen the verdigris, but without an agent to force it away from the copper it can't disperse it by itself-it just needs a little help, monthly.

Jim

Olive oil contains organic acids that do chemically react with verdigris, albeit very slowly. I don't like using any type of acid on copper, they tend to do more damage than good IMO.

Well I toothpicked this thing but I really don't like the results that the toothpick left. I think I'll just put this back in a 2x2 and see if it will just recolor over time.

FECtoothpicked.jpg

Based on your pictures, those remaining obverse spots look more like carbon than verdigris.

I'd put it in a window sill (no 2x2) for a few months. That should help the copper to reoxidize and regain it's natural patina. If you put it in a 2x2, it will most likely look the same even 10 years from now.

Based on your pictures, those remaining obverse spots look more like carbon than verdigris.

I'd put it in a window sill (no 2x2) for a few months. That should help the copper to reoxidize and regain it's natural patina. If you put it in a 2x2, it will most likely look the same even 10 years from now.

If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't carbon spots be dark? These are green.

I'm doing the same thing with this coin soaking in mineral oil since April (?),

1850LGCentobv.jpg

1850LGCentrev.jpg

as you can see, the reverse is the problem (looks like sombody sneezed on it quite a while ago). (shrug)

I take it out about once a month and "work" on it......no results as of yet.

Ray

Bobby, IMHO these coins do look better after soaking but they need some mechanical help with a toothpick or something. It appears that the verdigris has stopped growing.

Bobby, IMHO these coins do look better after soaking but they need some mechanical help with a toothpick or something. It appears that the verdigris has stopped growing.

Did you see the after pics of the toothpick job Charlie? Now it looks like I will have to let it sit up for another 10 months just to try to let it get some patina back. I think I rubbed it too much! lol

Bad Bobby!!! Bad Bobby!!! The idea behind the toothpicks is to help release the verdigris that has not eaten into the coin. You gently PICK at the area in question-NO RUBBING. If it doesn't lift off after 1 or 2 picks, then back in the olive oil.Thats why you need to do it once a month. The idea is that the olive oil softens it and the toothpick/thorn lifts it off-if not its not ready and may never be ready. Good luck.

Jim

Bad Bobby!!! Bad Bobby!!! The idea behind the toothpicks is to help release the verdigris that has not eaten into the coin. You gently PICK at the area in question-NO RUBBING. If it doesn't lift off after 1 or 2 picks, then back in the olive oil.Thats why you need to do it once a month. The idea is that the olive oil softens it and the toothpick/thorn lifts it off-if not its not ready and may never be ready. Good luck.

Jim

doh!

No, I did not see those pictures Bobby. Sorry, I have been ill again for the past couple weeks and was not paying close enough attention to your pics.

Oops, It appears as though you were a little too aggressive with the toothpick. Just soak the coins down some more in oil and those lines should disappear hopefully.

No, I did not see those pictures Bobby. Sorry, I have been ill again for the past couple weeks and was not paying close enough attention to your pics.

Oops, It appears as though you were a little too aggressive with the toothpick. Just soak the coins down some more in oil and those lines should disappear hopefully.

Hope you're feelin better charlie!! (thumbs u