• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Opinions on My Strange Jeff 5c

8 posts in this topic

I have posted this coin before but with scanned images. Have new camera with super macro now.

I showed this coin to a dealer at a local show and he said he couldn't identify the medal. His opinion was it was struck on a foreign coin planchet. Here are several picts of coin at different angles and lighting. What do you all think about it? Thanks. GoodObv-2.jpgGoodobverse-1.jpgGoodRev-1.jpgGoodRev-2.jpg

Wouldn't it also be noticibly thinner if on a cent planchet? Also if a cent planchet, I think it would have taken more of the lettering off considering half the Jeff still has rim. This also looks to have some enviromental damage so Can't really go by the coloring. Maybe paRt of the planchet was chipped?????? Just guessing!!

WOW! My first thought was "electroplated" but it is smaller than the nickel planchet, hence the offset nature.

The only thing that bothers me is the strike. I don't think you'd get that high of a relief strike off a cent planchet, but then again, the press is set up for nickel composition and not copper, but then there's the stand off on the dies so a clash does not happen.

I'm puzzled?