• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If this was your coin??

25 posts in this topic

Try denatured alcohol found in your local WalMart by paint thinners or, as suggested, acetone. I like the dark toning so I'd try to preserve it.

I would place it in my album and enjoy it when I wanted. Do you mean would I have it conserved, absolutley not. Would I have it slabbed, absolutely not. maybe a dip in olive oil for a while.

Jim

Ahh yes that is the problem at hand. I will try a quick acetone dip.

A quick soak in acetone or denatured alcohol will melt away the contamination and leave the natural, original color.

As for me...I personally like the dark original look but I do have some concerns about the gunk in a couple of spots. I am leaning towards the acetone bath too.

I know this is an old post, James but does Blue Ribbon or mineral oil leave any residue if left on a coin, say 10 years?

After curating with Blue Ribbon, I use acetone to remove the residue. I do not like "slick" looking coins, and Blue Ribbon will leave a protective film if you don't acetone it off.