• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian nickel, steel, and tombac 5 cent pieces

1 post in this topic

I've reached dead ends on a couple of collections I've been working on over the years. The coins I need to complete them are either unavailable or out of my budget range.

To keep the collecting bug going I have turned to non-silver 5 cent pieces. From George VI on there aren't any real "stoppers" if you don't include varieties (the 1938 may be a bit pricey in UNC, but so what?). There are numerous designs and compositions to keep the collection interesting, and most are fairly inexpensive up to choice BU.

What got me started was finding a 1939 5 cent piece with AU details on a small reverse scratch in a junk bin for 20 cents. Recently I bought one of those Colonial Acres blowout specials and got a number of PL (and nBU) 5 cent pieces to add to my album.

I'm plugging holes at a decent pace and feel I'm making some progress. Maybe before long I'll run across an 1876 Romanian 1 leu or one of the other missing pieces from my other collections, also.