• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest Submission Scores

43 posts in this topic

Any raw coins bought cheap that got gem grades?

I bought this coin (my avatar) off eBay raw for $350:

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

Came back from PCGS as an MS 65 -- by far my biggest "score"...Mike

Want to make a profit ^^

Michael, just took a look at your ex-coins. Very outstanding coins there. Just to let you know, I'm a cameo kinda dude... and this one was my favorite, although that Boone was very high on my list!

small83pf3cn.jpg

hi there coindude thanks for the thoughtful words! the boone is by finest one of the best if not the best toned boone on the planet or pretty damn close to it the coin was crossed into a pcgs 67 holder before being sold also with photos the boone photos suck in hand the coin is much more colorful lusterous and amazing same with that 1883 proof three cent nickel it is pastel toned and a mint tissue toned coin from the proskey hoard and also more amazing in person the photos on the 1883 really suck big time but this is all we got on here ----crappy photos

that 1889 gold dollar of mikeinfl is also extremely eye appealing and strongly DMPL

actually looks like a proof but it is not................. but it looks like one

and mikes 1889 gem ms one dollar gold in comparison would be a really cute and sexy young woman 23 years old that has a great figure and huge knockers licking a really big lollipop

For a slight change of pace, here's some paper. A true "score" at PMG.

I recently purchased this note raw for AU money from a major auction house who completely fumbled when they graded it. I could not find any reason why they called the note AU and neither could PMG who graded it a CU-66EPQ. North African star note $5's are almost impossible to find at this level (pop is 2/1).

FR2307star.jpg

and mikes 1889 gem ms one dollar gold in comparison would be a really cute and sexy young woman 23 years old that has a great figure and huge knockers licking a really big lollipop
Whoa! Slow down there big fella! ;)

To find a rare North African star note for AU money and have it upgraded to Superb Gem Unc is like hitting a powerball lotto. Congratulations and knowing how to grade is the key. Oh and luck also.

Dean (worship)

that 1889 gold dollar of mikeinfl is also extremely eye appealing and strongly DMPL

actually looks like a proof but it is not................. but it looks like one

Michael, having examined it in hand, I can say that it's not even close to DMPL, and in fact is less PL than many of them.

My deals where mostly ebay purchases. I bought the 52-s quarter raw off ebay for a BIN of around $25-35 if I remember correctly. It graded NGC ms67*.

The 58-d NGC ms66 quarter was picked up off ebay for $12 with terrible scans of the coin. Beautiful in hand :insane:

And this 44-d war nickel I purchased at a local coin show, raw, for $15. It graded NGC ms66*. The key is being patient and looking at thousands of coins, and images of coins. :grin:

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

Jon048-2.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

My small success story is as follows:

I saw this coin on ebay and thought that the denticles were so sharp and perfect looking as was liberty. This picture is mine, I no longer have the ebay pic which was far worse in quality. I bid $65 max on it and went to bed. Woke up to find that I had won it at $38. Upon receiving the coin, I sent it to NCS to be conserved and then graded. It graded at PF61. Five months later I traded it for $320 worth of coins(an 1834 CBH EF45 and an 1877 Trade $ VF30). I felt really fortunate in the trade.

Thanks for listening.

Jim

1890LibertySeatedDimePF61Pre-Con-1.jpg

1890LSDProof.jpg

Some great stories. It feels good to score a nice coin for a great price. There are still some deals on Ebay and other auction sights. I can say it has gone both ways for me but I remember the good deals more than the bad ones. That's why I always buy from a dealer that has a return policy if not pleased with purchase.

Dean