• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest Submission Scores

43 posts in this topic

I thought that it would be interesting---and restore some faith and hope in TPG's--- if my collecting brethren could share some instances or stories of some nice submission scores.

Any crackouts that jumped 2 grades and a few hundred ( or thousand ) bucks?

Any raw coins bought cheap that got gem grades?

Any bulk lots with hidden varieties or rarities?......please share as I am getting a bit jaded...(edited to add--after some of my submissions)

Well My 1883 Proof set was initially bought from DLRC with out the Tarde dollar - When I got them in hand I noticed that they were old 6 digit numbers on all the coins. 5 out of NINE got redesignated cameo.

I purchased my Trade dollar and also noticed it was a 6 digit number and got it also redesignated cameo ... I am sure that there is quite a price jump if they ever went up for auction but there are so few around that it is impossibe to say what that would be. They will never go up for auction :)

The set is in my sig line ...

A keen eye helps to find already holdered coins that could be redesignated or reviewed for EARLY errors.

In NGC's case they did not attribute Cameo back when these coins were initially graded.

yes

on dec 17 2001 i got the first proof walker into a proof 67 cameo pcgs holder a 1938

and to this date it is still the only walker of any date graded proof 67 cameo and they graded it in one day and also it was free as i bought a pcgs large glossy grading guide and cut out the free coupon for a free coin grading

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sometime in early 2002 i got the first pre civil war half dime into an ms68 star ngc holder an 1860 mark feld submitted it for me

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i got the first proof 67 deep cameo liberty nickel at pcgs in march 2002 a 1901 and currently it is still the only proof 67 deep cameo of any date graded after 1900

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have made about 10+ pop one coins at the services ngc/pcgsfor pre 1915 coinage and 8+ still stand as pop one

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i guess i could go on but it would be three pages so i will end here

oh and all the coins were NOT scores they were all accurate and solid for the grade in or out of the holders

they are what they are and just went from raw to holdered

Jackson 64------- Don't get down, my friend. This hobby can be certainly an up and down adventure. But, overall, with patience and a good eye, there are coins to be had.

I've had dozens of good experiences on Ebay. Many, many Walker coins bought for MS60 to 64 money that graded out in 65 and 66 grades. Both at NGC and at PCGS. Several varieties found in bought collections that are in "old" ANACS variety holders. Just the other day, Broadstruck showed a double struck in collar wheat cent on the PCGS forum. It had been on Ebay and brought nearly 3 grand. Guys were commenting that a thousand or more would be a great price----but surprised at the almost 3 grand price. Well, heck, I have one that I paid 3 cents for---found in hundreds of dollars worth of wheat cents. I had had it slabbed----cause I figured it was worth hundreds. But was smiling after I read Broadstruck's comments.

Good coins are everywhere. You just have to come up from the valley until you rise up onto a hill. It takes a LOT of patience. Can't count the times that I have thrown my hands up into the air in disgust----at something---at anything. Then, like in life----something nice finally happens----and then I wonder WHY I was soooo upset over nothing. It ALWAYS seems to even out over time.

Sometimes even your mistakes make you a lot of money over time. Take care. Bob [supertooth]

Michael, I wish someone would spend a couple of weeks with your collection and take a whole mess of pictures. You always talk about all these beauties, but I never get to see them! They're like a gorgeous girl all your friends keep talking about but no one will introduce you.

Ok, my best score was a 1959 proof set bought on ebay for about $30. I turned the half into a 68 cam at pcgs and the nickel into a 67 cam at pcgs.

Recently I bought a 1950 proof cent... sold it to Ant who sent it to NGC and got a 66 * cam on it. It was a great coin! We split the profits.

At one show, I purchased two 67 sms sets and one 66 set. From those I got three special dimes. A 67 in 67 ucam, the other in 68 ucam and the 66 dime came back in a 68 ucam holder.

Yes, these are cool scores, but the scores that Michael and Mike are talking about... those are freekin way cool!

I think my most memorable purchase was from the Registry of one of our members. (Please don't ask the for the name.) It was an 1885-CC, and when I received it, I realized that it was a VAM4, Hot 50 that was unattributed. I sent a PM to the seller asking if he/she realized that it was a VAM4 which was worth considerably more than what I paid. I was told, "Yes, but I made a fair profit on the sale to you." So, for $10 more, I submitted it to NGC at FUN 2008 to have it attributed. My $10 submission fee more than tripled it's value.

There is also the bag of 2007-D Sacagawea Business Strikes, from which, I submitted 54 coins and 14 came back MS68 which is about one-third of the NGC population with only one higher. Of the 54 graded, there were only 2 MS66 and the rest MS67. Of note, 28 of the 54 have a cool die clash. Each coin cost me $1.28 plus the grading. I'll let you do the rest of the numbers.

Of course, there is always the Kennedy "Missing the Clad Layer" on my sig line. It cost me 68c, and is worth $555+.

Chris

Michael, I wish someone would spend a couple of weeks with your collection and take a whole mess of pictures. You always talk about all these beauties, but I never get to see them! They're like a gorgeous girl all your friends keep talking about but no one will introduce you.

my good friend thanks you for your kind thoughtful words

i do not own any of these coins currently and my collection is basically down to little to nothing

it has been a net selling experience during the last 4 years or so; using the money to support orphan children in vietnam and give them money for education and job training so they can go onto a better life and support themselves

if you want to see some coins and again ALL OF THEM are all gone that you are seeing on this site

please go to www.pqcoins.com and click on the east coast collection to view

Michael, just took a look at your ex-coins. Very outstanding coins there. Just to let you know, I'm a cameo kinda dude... and this one was my favorite, although that Boone was very high on my list!

small83pf3cn.jpg

If you want or need to know about submission scores in order to have some of your faith and hope restored, it sounds as if you're in the hobby for the wrong reason.

Again--OUCH---faith that the grading system is impartial and hope that the little guy who submits 5-10 coins sometimes may get a winner.. .that was what I meant--my articulation was wanting....and nothing that is implied ever fails to get misunderstood around here..

I added a sentence to clarify this on the original post.....

PS: plus I just like hearing cool stories of my fellow collectors getting some great finds...

Again--OUCH---faith that the grading system is impartial and hope that the little guy who submits 5-10 coins sometimes may get a winner.. .that was what I meant--my articulation was wanting....and nothing that is implied ever fails to get misunderstood around here..

I added a sentence to clarify this on the original post.....

But the "little guy" sometimes getting a winner (1 or 2 point upgrade) doesn't necessarily have anything to do with whether the grading system is impartial (or not).

OKAY--here's what got me a bit down--and it has carried over for a few weeks ( as if you guys haven't noticed)

I got a nice raw 1917-D reverse Walker raw from a major auction house--the catalog described it as PQ and when I received it in hand it was all that and more---upon submission it came back as an MS62. I paid a little over that price but not too much (around $1500) because I thought a minimum MS63...when I submitted it I was thinking MS64 because this date is weakly struck. When it came back I immediately studied every every 1917-D Rev I could find in any auction history and past catalogs....convinced that it was a 64--resubmit coin with a note stating my concerns about the weak strike lowering the grade too much ( plus this coin's strike was great for the date--no thumb but full skirt lines--a "gem" for this issue)--to make this short--came back again as a 62...

To cut to the chase, I went to a dealer friend who agreed it was at least a 63 and probably a 64...He offered me the $1500 I originally paid--I took it and was going to wash my hands of the whole thing until...............

I saw in his case in August the coin I had sold him for $1500 in a new MS64 slab and a $7000 price tag.........( this is not an isolated incident either-just one of the more extreme)

this is why I ran the post about maybe CAC having a benefit for me...(which I got ripped for) and my other posts recently which have had a dejected feel........I have NEVER received a 70 on a submission--even with stacks of mint boxes in my garage ( granted these are foreign coins mostly)..but mint sealed capsules coming back as PF65's ??...I have had a half dozen coins slab on their second submission that were bodybagged the first time--( I have receipts to prove this)....I could go on and on--but sometimes I feel as if I am playing the lottery ( at best) and sometimes I wonder if the TPG's just don't like little 4-5 coin submissions ( unless they're 10K or more.........anyhow...that's what has been bugging me...

maybe letting this frustration out will help me get past it.......maybe I just need to buy a 7070 and get away from slabs for a while, however hope springs eternal and I know if I see a great coin in a mint set with a pop of 10 coins in MS67--I'd still take a shot...

Lot's of stories from my 1950's Mint set purchases but probably the best pulls grade wise was a toned 1955 Double Mint set I purchased for $150 off Ebay. I didn't send in all of the coins, only the coins with nice toning like frankies came back MS65FBL and MS66FBL, both of the 1955-P dimes came back MS67's, the P mint Quarters both came back MS66

1955MintSet2032.jpg

1955MintSet2036.jpg

1955MintSet2043.jpg

1955MintSet2046.jpg

The frankies alone sold $380 and $220 respectively :acclaim:

Then I picked this up for $60 on ebay and it came back...

1880SRaw.jpg

new013.jpgnew011.jpg

Then I got this for $80 and it came back....

recent014.jpg

NGC097.jpg

and finally I bought an 1880-S Morgan in an old PCCI Photocertified MS66 Slab for $100 BIN on Ebay and it came back MS66 from PCGS so I think I have had my fair share of success stories hm

Hello Folks------ Story telling time. Maybe it might help a little in this post.

When I graduated from dental school in 1973, I was scared as all heck. I knew that I was good----but I knew that there was an awful lot that I would NEVER know. It was like you could study and practice your entire life, but you would simply be NOT PERFECT no matter how hard that you tried.

Well, I tried to be perfect for 31 years. And, after I retired, I still knew that I hadn't learned it all----by NO means had I learned it all. But, what I did do, was that whatever came along----I did the very best that I could on that given day.

Coins are really quite similar. You THINK that you know a lot----and maybe you do----but, as you go through time, you realize that you really know very little sometimes. No matter how good you become there is ALWAYS more to learn. And, because there are many aspects of the coin business, others sometimes affect how you might think. And, in this coin BUSINESS, the TPGS do indeed affect our coins. Even if you buy and sell only "raw" coins----the prices are affected by what that coin would sell for had it been in someone's holder.

So, in the coin BUSINESS, we are influenced by TPGS---by dealers---by auction houses----by other collectors---by Ebay---by TT----and a host of other TV coin wannabees etc. etc. All these folks that we simply DO NOT know personally----who basically really mostly DO NOT really want to sit in church with us. They are out to buy or sell our coins or to sell us their coins---to interact with us for a few minutes----and to then move onward----FOR THE MOST PART. Most relationships are casual. Only a limited number "might" become true friendships.

In the end, it is mostly up to the individual. It simply becomes how good you actually are at buying and selling. Or----how confident that you are in holding for a long period of time. The collector's own personal knowledge MUST be the "final decision maker" as to how good his collection really is----or whether he makes or looses when he sells some of his coins. What ANY of the other players do, whether it be the TPGS or ANYONE else-----MUST be controled by the knowledge [ or lack thereof] on the part of the collector or dealer. For any collector MUST factor into his collecting ALL of the "outside" influences that will undoubtedly affect him. And, then, his own knowledge MUST allow him to sort through it all and come out to a point where he is SATISFIED. It is either that---or collect coins that don't involve a lot of money----where ONLY the fun of the hobby is involved----and NOT the money aspects of collecting or selling in these days and times.

If you collect ANY coins that cost more than a few bucks apiece, you are playing what I call "THE GIANT GAME". You win or lose that game SOLELY by how much you KNOW about the coins that you are buying or selling. To do well in this BUSINESS----you simply MUST end up knowing as much or MORE than the person who is trying to sell you that coin or coins. Otherwise, as my grandfather would have said----"YOU WILL LOSE". Bob [supertooth]

OKAY--here's what got me a bit down--and it has carried over for a few weeks ( as if you guys haven't noticed)

I got a nice raw 1917-D reverse Walker raw from a major auction house--the catalog described it as PQ and when I received it in hand it was all that and more---upon submission it came back as an MS62. I paid a little over that price but not too much (around $1500) because I thought a minimum MS63...when I submitted it I was thinking MS64 because this date is weakly struck. When it came back I immediately studied every every 1917-D Rev I could find in any auction history and past catalogs....convinced that it was a 64--resubmit coin with a note stating my concerns about the weak strike lowering the grade too much ( plus this coin's strike was great for the date--no thumb but full skirt lines--a "gem" for this issue)--to make this short--came back again as a 62...

To cut to the chase, I went to a dealer friend who agreed it was at least a 63 and probably a 64...He offered me the $1500 I originally paid--I took it and was going to wash my hands of the whole thing until...............

I saw in his case in August the coin I had sold him for $1500 in a new MS64 slab and a $7000 price tag.........( this is not an isolated incident either-just one of the more extreme)

this.....

I don't know if this will make you feel better or not, but it's the truth... Most dealers, even the sharpest and the largest ones, have probably had similar things happen when selling to other dealers and even to collectors. And some of them have experienced it numerous times and left a lot more money on the table. In many respects the whole thing is a game or a lottery, though you can swing the odds more in your favor with knowledge, patience and persistence.

Lot's of stories from my 1950's Mint set purchases but probably the best pulls grade wise was a toned 1955 Double Mint set I purchased for $150 off Ebay. I didn't send in all of the coins, only the coins with nice toning like frankies came back MS65FBL and MS66FBL, both of the 1955-P dimes came back MS67's, the P mint Quarters both came back MS66

1955MintSet2032.jpg

1955MintSet2036.jpg

1955MintSet2043.jpg

1955MintSet2046.jpg

The frankies alone sold $380 and $220 respectively :acclaim:

Then I picked this up for $60 on ebay and it came back...

1880SRaw.jpg

new013.jpgnew011.jpg

Then I got this for $80 and it came back....

recent014.jpg

NGC097.jpg

and finally I bought an 1880-S Morgan in an old PCCI Photocertified MS66 Slab for $100 BIN on Ebay and it came back MS66 from PCGS so I think I have had my fair share of success stories hm

Shane, would you be kind enough to show me the reverses of the Morgans?

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, if he did that, it would spoil things for everyone. After all, would you be nearly as impressed once you saw the word "COPY" above the eagles on the reverses. :devil:

;)

Thanks,

Chris

Chris, if he did that, it would spoil things for everyone. After all, would you be nearly as impressed once you saw the word "COPY" above the eagles on the reverses. :devil:

;)

lol lol lol

You got me there Mark.... :devil:

Here is the reverse of MS64*

recent022.jpg

If you ever get bored I have have plenty of large detailed images of all of my Morgans if you want to play guess the vam? I have the book but don't take the time to look them up (thumbs u

Jackson 64-----It is REALLY good that you have opened up and told us WHY you have had some angst lately. Heck, as Mark has stated, it happens ALL of the time. I think that you know that I have tried to help----so I will continue a little---now that I know it was a Walker involved.

Remember----It is a giant game. IMHO you did a couple of things that were questionable: 1----You reacted too quickly to your problem 2----You didn't trust your own opinion enough---even though you said that the coin met your expectations and EVEN MORE 3--- You failed to hold onto a coin that you claimed that you liked. I assume that to be ONLY because it didn't end up in the graded holder that you wanted it to ultimately be in. That indicates trouble IMHO

Hold for a year. Keep an open mind. Look at the coin every once in awhile. Give yourself time to ADJUST your opinion or your attitude about the situation. Don't be soooooo impulsive to react to a situation. Quick fixes don't always fix the problem----now you will have it in your gut FOREVER.

Certainly don't be mad at the dealer. He told you that he thought that it was a 63. That should have given you a clue that you were close in your grading. But, also ask yourself WHY a 1500 coin was sitting "raw" in a MAJOR auction house's auction?? A 62 grade indicates a possible REASON for the 62 grade.

And, just because someone has now put it into a 64 holder----does NOT make the coin a 64----it only makes the insert say that. And the dealer is only taking the SAME chance as you did. He is making his living at gambling----you are not.

And, your angst at the TPGS is the 64 million dollar question----to which there is only an opinion and a lot of conjectures for answers. That is ALSO part of "THE GIANT GAME". ALL the factors MUST be taken into account and into consideration----sometimes the bear gets us----sometimes we get the bear. Bob [supertooth]

Thanks,

Chris

;)

lol (thumbs u lol (thumbs u lol

Thanks,

Chris

;)

lol lol lol

recent022.jpg

If you ever get bored I have have plenty of large detailed images of all of my Morgans if you want to play guess the vam? I have the book but don't take the time to look them up (thumbs u

That would be fun for me, but with my eyesight, I have to use the stereomicroscope to pick up on all of the details and markers.

I'll tell you what, why don't you just give all of them to me? :hi:

Chris

Thanks,

Chris

;)

lol lol lol

recent022.jpg

The reason I asked, Shane, is because I have two with nearly identical toning that I submitted to NGC earlier this year, and neither of them received a star. I wonder if it would be worth it to resubmit them for review?

I guess they're making it hard for me because I'm always begging for an invitation to the NGC Brunch at FUN. lol

Chris

Thanks,

Chris

;)

lol lol lol

recent022.jpg

That would be fun for me, but with my eyesight, I have to use the stereomicroscope to pick up on all of the details and markers.

I'll tell you what, why don't you just give all of them to me? :hi:

Chris

(thumbs u

hm

rantrant

:screwy:

thanks Bob...always encouraging even if the truths you're telling me are hard to swallow...great Morgans Shane...and thanks for sharing the story...