• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got the "Aloha Spirit"!

22 posts in this topic

Hawaiian Sesquicentennial 1928 (10,008, including 50 proofs.)

As some of you may remember, I am working on a type set of circulated, crusty classic commems. One of the absolute toughest coins of the series (not even considering the cost) is the Hawaiian commemorative. I love the design. It equates with the Frazers' Oregon trail coin as far as quality goes, IMO. I've always admired this coin and have had a longing for one for years. Well, here's another week's pay out of the pocket. Luckily my wife is cool and is very understanding. ;)

Captain James Cook FRS RN (7 November [O.S. 27 October] 1728 – 14 February 1779) was an English explorer, navigator and cartographer, ultimately rising to the rank of Captain in the Royal Navy. Cook was the first to map Newfoundland prior to making three voyages to the Pacific Ocean during which he achieved the first European contact with the eastern coastline of Australia and the Hawaiian Islands as well as the first recorded circumnavigation of New Zealand.

Image:Cook_Three_Voyages_59.png

In 1766, the Royal Society hired Cook to travel to the Pacific Ocean to observe and record the transit of Venus across the Sun. [On Cook's third Pacific voyage] Cook returned to Hawaii in 1779. After sailing around the archipelago for some eight weeks, he made landfall at Kealakekua Bay, on what is now the 'Big Island' of Hawaii. After a month's stay, Cook got under sail again to resume his exploration of the Northern Pacific. However, shortly after leaving the Big Island, the foremast of the Resolution broke and the ships returned to Kealakekua Bay for repairs. [Cook was welcomed during the first voyage since, by a string of coincidences, some mistook him for a god. The feeling didn't remain on his return]. Tensions rose and a number of quarrels broke out between the Europeans and Hawaiians. On February 14 at Kealakekua Bay, some Hawaiians took one of Cook's small boats. Normally, as thefts were quite common in Tahiti and the other islands, Cook would have taken hostages until the stolen articles were returned. Indeed, he attempted to take hostage the King of Hawaii, Kalaniopu'u. The Hawaiians prevented this, and Cook's men had to retreat to the beach. As Cook turned his back to help launch the boats, he was struck on the head by the villagers and then stabbed to death as he fell on his face in the surf. The Hawaiians dragged his body away. Four of the Marines with Cook were also killed and two wounded in the confrontation.

cook3.jpg

The Demise of Captain Cook

66855.jpg.b8b88af38310a82bf95624e1a0805e6c.jpg

66856.jpg.15c9a06025e51b8ee70a9d816c30c841.jpg

66857.jpg.f947ac5008e0ab6a6c1812b3093e1d69.jpg

Thanks, Bobby. Yeah, she is.

p.s. Hawaiian is phonetic and is pretty much pronounced just like spanish. Japanese is the same.

Great find! Congratulations!

Have you found a crusty Antietam yet? I think must be hardest commemorative half dollar to find in "crusty."

Not, yet. I have 20 at present and many miles to go before I sleep.

I appreciate all of the comments! Heck, it's like a who's who of top numismatists. I knew that this was a good coin but it is still nice to have the affirmation of so many who know.

I really didn't want to spend $1925 but sometimes you've gotta jump or else miss a rare opportunity.

Great find! Congratulations!

Have you found a crusty Antietam yet? I think must be hardest commemorative half dollar to find in "crusty."

Not, yet. I have 20 at present and many miles to go before I sleep.

I appreciate all of the comments! Heck, it's like a who's who of top numismatists. I knew that this was a good coin but it is still nice to have the affirmation of so many who know.

I really didn't want to spend $1925 but sometimes you've gotta jump or else miss a rare opportunity.

Victor, you will treasure that coin long after the sting has left your wallet. (worship)

Victor, you will treasure that coin long after the sting has left your wallet. (worship)

[font:Comic Sans MS]Very true![/font] :cloud9:

You know there is a MS63 online certified by PCGS and it almost looks cleaned :)

Yours looks much better than that one .. congratis

Thanks, Mike. I noticed that, too. There is a cleaned, fugly example for sale on e-bay right now with a BIN price of $1400. I took the time to explain to YunYun, my wife, the importance of eye-appeal and originality. It clicked with her. She sees how my $1925 purchase has far more value than the $1400 coin since my coin is water tight. The other coin, however, leaks value like a sieve. Leaks value like a sieve Or, the coin's value is bloated like Road Kill.

A friend recently started a circulated set of early commems and he was excited about locating a Hawaiian; I just sent him the image of your AU 53 [ nice coin, BTW ] ; now,

I'm wondering if you both were after the same coin.

Great find, IMHO. Congratulations !