• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I need advice from my Friends - ANACS Coin that Did not Cross

38 posts in this topic

Mike---- I find this post extremely interesting. So here I am again. Would like to point out several factors that sit up and say---pay attention to me.

It's not a bad coin---if you look at your photos. It's not a bad coin---if you look at the sellers photos. But, if we were all honest with one another, can we REALLY tell about this coin from the pictures?? My answer would be a resounding "NO".

Again, jackson 64 has a point. Are there hairlines?? Don't know about the rest of you---but I simply cannot tell from ANY of the pictures. That's the funny thing about pictures. They can really hide the hairlines---or the dipping to a great degree.

But, what I can tell from Mike's pics are that the coin has what looks to be some chatter on the face----has chatter on both open fields of the reverse inside of the wreath---has a nasty dig in the center of the eagle's chest--- plus one in that right inside wreath [left as you look at the eagle]---has some stuff under the word States---has chatter under the "E" of E pluribus Unum----has questionable toning. Then "if" you do see any hairlines or surfaces that were dipped---would you pay 63 money for it now??

So, while I do not dislike the coin for what it is, I think that I could agree with NGC's verdict----even NOT being able to see the coin in hand. But, while I might say all of this, I think that Mike will get his money out of this piece if he is patient. In fact, he will undoubtedly make money down the road----as the coin certainly is not a common Morgan in AU and above.

Be interesting to hear what Mike says about the potential hairlines----and about whether dipping has dulled the surfaces in his opinion. If I had to guess, I'd say that "market acceptable" is what this coin is----but certainly no more than that.

And Mike, I do understand about the money. We all want to try and accomplish a goal -----mostly as cheaply as we can. But trusting pictures of ANY coin graded an AU58 or higher is a dangerous game. Bob [supertooth]

I dont think that I have seen you say so much in one thread before :)

There are ZERO hairlines as I got "Mark'd" for using magnification.

The LARGE pictures obviously show its flaws more than in hand but yes I saw all of them but I thought consistant with the grade.

I think they are seeing dip residue right over Liberty's head - That does not look like a natural tone to me and almost looks like it rests on top of the coin instead of the metal turning normally.

Well the OCD in me got jazzed again and already replaced it :) - ehehehhe -

Obviously NOT my picturs :(

66859.jpg.488ff0e534c9fb5fb64fd46f239e671b.jpg

That coin looks good to me! It sure looks like true mint lustre and not cleaned, to me. I wish I could see the coin in hand! I have had coins that wouldn't cross or crossed at a lower grade that on the second try ended up the grade I had expected in the first place sometimes higher! I do get a kick out of the pop out game.

The problem is you just can't be sure about a grade with a photo!

Unless you asked for and received some type of guarantee that the coin would cross, I don't even think it was appropriate to contact the seller. You bought it and you own it. If you don't want it, sell it.

Exactly. Sometimes you've gotta take you spanking and move on.

The images reveal nothing that indicates a bad cleaning to me, though the luster may be a bit dulled from a couple too many dips. I think you will be able to move this coin in the current ANACS slab should you determine it is not for you.

Ebay is full of coins. At least you bought one encapsulated. Don't expect an ANACS coin to cross. If you don't like it, sell it. Learn from this experience, and get on with your life enjoying coin collecting.

Ebay is full of coins. At least you bought one encapsulated. Don't expect an ANACS coin to cross. If you don't like it, sell it. Learn from this experience, and get on with your life enjoying coin collecting.

Bought from a board member

Regarding hairlines, many times they are hard to detect unless you look at the coin in a dark room under a halogen lamp -- and then swirl the coin around -- THEN those nasty hairlines may show up in the fields.

Also, I agree with others posted here -- the coin should be considered sold, and the seller has no obligation to give a refund.