• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow! AN 1884 Trade Dollar PCGS PR67

7 posts in this topic

Jay Parrino has a somewhat darkly toned 1884 Trade Dollar PCGS PR67 on his website for sale, asking price is a cool $950000.00

Dragon

That is the Floyd Starr coin, first auctioned in 1992 for $176,000. It was initially graded NGC PF66 and has slowly worked its way up the grading chain. It last "sold" in a Goldberg sale two years ago for $504,000.

His picture is total . Try this one:

1884_trade_dollar_obv.jpg

BTW - NGC: this coin is still on your pop report. (This is the one I was talking about, Dena).

It's in a higher grade holder, so it must be nicer, eh? grin.gif

It's a lot darker than the above picture (although I've never seen it). Perhaps Parrino's picture is closer to reality (yuck!).

Laura recommended that I buy my 65 when both the 65 and 67 were at auction on the same day two years ago. The Eliasberg coin is almost two grades better than the 65 (the 65 is a high end 64 in my mind and the Eliasberg coin is a very high end 66). So the answer to your question is that I assume it's nicer but they are two different looks, so beauty is undoubtably in the eye of the beholder.

How does this type of toning occur? The colors look OK and the markers for natural toning seem OK, but I am baffled by the pattern. (and the nice fingerprint)