• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you guess my Grade - Bet you can't :) - Go Ahead TRY !

16 posts in this topic

I'll take that bet. I bet I can't either.At first I was going to say PF 58 just because of the way you asked the question.Then I looked closer at the devices. They are in great shape.I'm having a little trouble with the fields. Are those die polish lines? If they are die lines then I'm going to say PF66.But,there's still a trick in here jgrinz isn't there?Don't mind me,I've been editing this post like crazy.

Someone cheated ... we wont say who ..WOODY :)

Yes this is a wonderful looking MINT STATE coin portraying wonderful PROOFLIKE qualities and is designated as such. I almost pulled my finger oooops nooooo pulled the trigger on this but I have to keep my OCD under control :).

However I did add 3 Coins to my Morgan collection and 3 to my Gold/Plat Modern Commem set with some thanks to Microsoft. I will post those in a different forum.

It's a business strike, so I will guess MS-64.

Sometimes it's hard to tell the business strikes from the Proofs on these coins from the 1880s. The gold dollars from the early 1880s, where the mintages were very low, can be especially difficult.

It's a business strike, so I will guess MS-64.

Sometimes it's hard to tell the business strikes from the Proofs on these coins from the 1880s. The gold dollars from the early 1880s, where the mintages were very low, can be especially difficult.

I thought I would catch a lot saying proof ... It is a nice coin and is still available on Ebay I believe

( I do not have any connection to this coin whatsoever )

I didn't have to cheat on this one.

To tack on to what Bill Jones mentioned, there was a time quite a few years ago when I wanted a complete run of P-mint quarters from 1879 - 1889. For some reason, these coins are always very attractive and prooflike. And they have the added appeal of very low mintages (though admittedly high survival rates). The P-mint half-dollars follow the exact same production pattern, except that they include the date of 1890 for prooflike business strikes.

I only managed to acquire about half the coins necessary for the quarter run, but they were (and are) quite expensive. The coins ended up getting sold to buy other coins, but I find them irresistible. The are like the 1879-1882-S Morgan dollars - always reliably beautiful coins.

Thanks for sharing!

I didn't have to cheat on this one.

To tack on to what Bill Jones mentioned, there was a time quite a few years ago when I wanted a complete run of P-mint quarters from 1879 - 1889. For some reason, these coins are always very attractive and prooflike. And they have the added appeal of very low mintages (though admittedly high survival rates). The P-mint half-dollars follow the exact same production pattern, except that they include the date of 1890 for prooflike business strikes.

I only managed to acquire about half the coins necessary for the quarter run, but they were (and are) quite expensive. The coins ended up getting sold to buy other coins, but I find them irresistible. The are like the 1879-1882-S Morgan dollars - always reliably beautiful coins.

Thanks for sharing!

I found this on EBAY and I was really intriqued by its LOOK ... Looks like by people grade here, Proof or PL, they were all real close - I already stated what it was. A Real looker

I first thought that this was a prrof, but the stars on Ms. Liberty's left side are not strruck up like those on her right. The rims are not squared up enough for a prrof. The strike is great though for a business strike,

I grade the coin MS-63 PL.