• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Having fun again.....the best hobby ever...

30 posts in this topic

We all have our own trials and tribulations that we go through in life....the ups....the downs.......the joy :grin: .......the depression :( but as the saying goes, in the end your life is what you make it. I have now come full circle over the past couple of years and I have fallen back into some of the things that always brought me a lot of joy. Everyone on the forum that knows me knows about my obsession with toned coins. :acclaim: I just can't get enough color and I take equal pleasure in buying my precious trinkets as I do imaging them. It's amazing how collecting....and the friends we meet collecting can have such a positive impact on our lives....and no in my case I am not talking about financially. lol The love and passion we share for certain material possessions (coins) can bring folks from all walks of life together and they can and typically do become life long friends. We morn our losses even those we have never officially met.....when one of our collecting brothers or sisters suffers a loss.....it can hit us hard as well.

It's quite remarkable really....it's a case study in today's internet culture......a new life experiment played out in tiny bits of information traveling on beams of light......who would of thunk it hm

So now let me digress to why we all come on these forums..........and show you just why I am having fun again :banana:

Please post some of your coins that make this hobby truly one in a million :headbang:

NGC106.jpg

NGC110.jpg

The colour the Colour The colour - I cant stand the colour ... :makepoint:

But does make a nice photo shoot :)

Nice Collection

My,oh My,Oh My. Hot collection!!

This might sound stupid but since I came over here and have been seeing many of your beautiful rainbows and psychedelics? I've been gaining a better appreciation for certain tone types .The rainbows are looking better lately. To that end, I bid on a what I think is great 1886 Morgan toner with an incredible PL reverse.It's got I should have it in a few days. The sellers pictures just gave a nice hint as to what's under the plastic. I'll try to get my own better pics to post here. Thanks Kryptonitecomics

BTW, it seems to me that the 86 and 87 Morgans have a much larger proportion of great rainbows etc. than other dates. Or am I making it up?

There are quite a few dates that were very prevelant in mint sealed bags....

1879-S thru 1882-S

1883-O thru 1885-O

1885-P thru 1887-P

Just to name a few, so yes your obversvation is correct. I typically end up with tons of coins from these dates which is fine by me if they have nice color. I do not have the funds to go after tougher dates so if I end up with 10 stunning 1881-S Morgans then so be it :banana:

I am looking forward to seeing images of your Toned Morgan (thumbs u

:banana:

I am looking forward to seeing images of your Toned Morgan (thumbs u

Here's a tease. This is the sellers photo.Don't cheat, now. This is the PL reverse with about 1/10th the color of the Obverse. I'll post the rest when I can.Pete

66583.jpg.19ec9476145e024a81e3701be69130dc.jpg

It looks extremely clean and lusterous from what I can see in the small image.....you may have gotten a monster if there's some descent color on the obverse :applause:

MBA101...

When we were teaching in Belgrade, we had several British students who spelled the word "colors" as colours. Could that be what's happening? Just a guess.

MBA101...

When we were teaching in Belgrade, we had several British students who spelled the word "colors" as colours. Could that be what's happening? Just a guess.

I quite often will use the British spelling for words. I read a lot of British literature, so that might explain it. And its the more traditional, original spelling. For example, "grey" instead of "gray", and adding "u"s in words like "neighbour" and "colour." I tell you, spellcheck gives me grief for it, though.

Hey all,

I got the 86 Morgan I teased about. What's the verdict.the picture ain't great but it does show most of the color.

86bow1.jpg

Looks like a very nice coin (thumbs u

Was a bit worried about AT. It looks okay to me.I checked the arc on the rainbow.It lines up exactly with another Morgan dollar sitting on top. And the fact that both sides "join up" but aren't nearly close in size helps. Other than that and some small toning scratches,what else can I look for.

Hey Shane, Congrats on making it through the bumps (er.... craters) in the road of life!!! It's fun to see your coins and your enthusiasm.

I may have one or two toners around here somewhere. Hows about a variety of coins...

25C1835.jpg

Walker1944D_66A.jpg

Walker1944D_66Rev.jpg

WalkerInitials_Sm.jpg

Roosevelt52S_66Sm.jpg

Roosevelt52S_66RevSm.jpg

SLDime1858_P64Obv.jpg

SLDime1858_P64Rev.jpg

Peace23_65Rev.jpg

Peace23_65Ob2.jpg

Shane, I like the Binnion 1886 in 65*, where did you find that one?

Oh this little tarnished thing Jack? ;)

1886Binionslab-1.jpg

1886Binion-1.jpg

I picked it up from a friend on the PCGS forum and I believe he purchased it from Gary @ Island Coins. (thumbs u

What is with the freaking "U"'s in the colors!?!?

Nice coins. :grin:

Are you asking about the shape of where mint bag toning didn't affect the areas of the coins that was covered by another coin in the bag when the exposed surface colored?

Or did I miss a 'funny' ?

1886Binionslab-1.jpg

1886Binion-1.jpg

Thats a freakin' monster Shane. I was scared to death when I saw the close ups, and had to hide under my bed for about 30 min. lol

Is that a little textile I spot at 10 o'clock? Sweeeeeeeet :cool:

Best hobby ever..

I am in the very unique situation of having bought a few spouse coins last week/2 weeks ago, billed in USD at over 80c per AUD

Now the AUD is worth a measly 67c and dropping by the hour quite literally. Down another half a cent since I looked earlier

Two of these spouse coins are being returned. When should I do it ? post will take 2-3 days by courier which is how I am going to have to do it. Regular post would cost me a week in risk of the exchange rate changing.

Looking at making over $100 on each of 2 coins ON A REFUND, thats after shipping both ways. Nice ? :D