• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the grade on this 1818 Bust Half

18 posts in this topic

I usually do not buy raw but this coin looked great and the price seemed right.

I will be submitting it to be graded in a few weeks. Can you guess the grade assigned by the coin dealer? These pictures are from my scanner. The scanner did not pick up the orange gold toning that surrounds both rims of the coin. That dark spot on the bust looks like it might be a little grease.

66578.jpg.21460ecfe62e504c1ab4c90a3f3b50a8.jpg

66579.jpg.1e2675afbd797b285ead38a28b33cf23.jpg

The coin was graded AU50 by Stacks . I bought it a couple of weeks ago from them for

$ 220 before buyers premium . I was very happy when I received it. I may reconsider and not slab the coin. This one is a real keeper, that orange gold tone that surrounds it is fantastic. My main reason for slabbing it would be to confirm the grade and add it to my registry. I attached the picture that Stacks used, I tried to adjust the photo but still the picture is washed out and does not represent the actual look of the coin other then the gold tone surrounding the coin.

66644.jpg.67db9d3e5b2ea9f956a578173f61220f.jpg

66645.jpg.b7bf0c69b6c24438c32d7215270bfc60.jpg

From what I have seen with The Stacks Auctions they are very forthcoming about a coins originality. They sell a lot of raw coins, if they think it was dipped, wiped, or cleaned they will say so in the description. This one was described as original which I am very confident that it is. They are also very accurate with the grading of their raw coins as they should be considering who they have on board !! They have another auction this month , I plan on taking a trip down to view the coins before I bid this time. My Fiancée always wants me to take her to NYC so this is a good reason to make the trip .

James, I looked at your selection of Bust Halves – fantastic selection and accurate grading!

XF-45 TO AU-50 the REV looks like it had a cleaning at one point, notice the center compared to the beautifull rim tone. Al

No cleaning on this one it is fully original.

Coin looks to be fully original with no evidence of cleaning.

As James Early-Us said if the coin was dipped or cleaned that grease spot would most likely not be on the coin.

Well I have to recant by glowing recommendation of Raw coins offered by Stacks.

This 1818 Bust came back from PCGS as Altered Surfaces !!

Anyone who has seen an Auction by Stacks knows they offer a lot of raw coins , and many are noted as being cleaned. This coin was not noted as being cleaned or altered.

I have to say I could not see it when I had the coin in hand. Tom B – I should have shown you this coin at COINFEST before I submitted it to PCGS – I would have saved some money on submission fees. I will still keep the coin because the eye appeal is great and it was only $ 253 !! Maybe I should send it to NGC – but wait I bet the graders all read these boards and they will body bag it . :eek:

Can't stand that altered surfaces designation.There are too many conditions that fit under that umbrella. I've gotten that on one coin myself(so far).

If you wanted to return it,would Stacks take it back?

For all I know maybe Stacks already knew it might be a coin that a TPG would consider having altered surfaces. I have no reason to ask Stacks about a return mainly because I like the look of it and it was not an expensive coin. I am sure that written in the fine print of their Auction agreement they give no warranty when a coin is sent to a TPG.

I figured I would give Stacks a try with a raw coin purchase, that will be the last time I will do that. I am going to guess that even the raw ones they sell that are not marked as cleaned or touched up would have a higher probability of getting bagged. I suppose I could send this to NGC or ANACS just to see what would happen.

I received my Bust Half back from PCGS today , well at least they gave me a nice blue PCGS box for free. That black steak on the observe of the coin is not grease rather it was a bad attempt to putty up a defect on the coin. At an angle with a good magnifier you can see how it was puttied. The putty did turn black so unless you look hard enough it will appear to be a grease streak.