• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good deal?

7 posts in this topic

I have a chance to buy 3 GSA CC dollars (1882, 1883, & 1884) for about $450.

According to PCGS's price guide for those years, the coins in AU 55, the market price would be about $575.

Do you think that this is a good deal? I haven't seen the coins, but the seller says that he would guess MS 62 or 63 on each.

What do you think?

It sounds fine IF they're unc. and don't have major problems such as cleaning. I don't think AU55's are worth what the PCGS price guide says, though.

Given fairly small increases in price between AU and MS-64, I'd be inclinded to buy as much coin for the money as possible. Yes, it probably would cost you a bit more, but my view is that you buy the coin that runs up just before the huge price increase or bump.

I'm not sure how liquid these coins are in AU-55. Sure the book or Gray Sheet says one thing, but you have to find someone who will pay that. I think that sub Mint State and even sub MS-63 coins for these three common date CC dollars are not that great of a buy.

I have a chance to buy 3 GSA CC dollars (1882, 1883, & 1884) for about $450.

According to PCGS's price guide for those years, the coins in AU 55, the market price would be about $575.

Do you think that this is a good deal? I haven't seen the coins, but the seller says that he would guess MS 62 or 63 on each.

What do you think?

Ask the seller for a 7-10 day return privilege so that you can inspect them in-hand before deciding if you want to keep them or have your money refunded. If he balks on that, then I would pass. For the record, the 82, 83 & 84 are the most common of all of the CC's, GSA or not.

Chris

Given fairly small increases in price between AU and MS-64, I'd be inclinded to buy as much coin for the money as possible. Yes, it probably would cost you a bit more, but my view is that you buy the coin that runs up just before the huge price increase or bump.

I'm not sure how liquid these coins are in AU-55. Sure the book or Gray Sheet says one thing, but you have to find someone who will pay that. I think that sub Mint State and even sub MS-63 coins for these three common date CC dollars are not that great of a buy.

I agree.