• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Clean happy

14 posts in this topic

Well, a couple Morgans came back "obverse improperly cleaned" today.The other grades were 2 pt's lower than excpected.One had been in a slab since the 80''s. I think I' m done with NGC for awhile.

Here's a pic.I think the problem is down by the neck.Doesn't look like cleaning to me. I just added a picture of the reverse. Remember,this on is "Obverse improperly cleaned". The reverse has identical look and toning. The 2nd cleaned coin was not in a slab. But in my last submission I had the same thing.

66466.jpg.9eab7138da28029f2517f570ef2f1ff4.jpg

66471.jpg.49401c421d1ceb18820545932142d663.jpg

The other grades were 2 pt's lower than excpected.One had been in a slab since the 80''s
What company's slabs were the two coins in and what were their grades compared to the grades NGC assigned? Thanks.

Regarding the coin you posted an image of - unfortunately, often, cleaning isn't apparent in images.

Instead of blaming NGC for BB'ing your coins for being cleaned try to learn what cleaning looks like!

I am with Mark, You can't see the cleaning in the images. Also what was the company that had graded the coins higher?

I expected somewhat lower grades.Just nor as low. The Cleaning thing really bugs me. I an usually see it. But some types I guess just are better. I look these over with a 15X magnifier from all possible sides. I'll get some new pics when the box gets delivered.

Prudden, I had an 1860 dime that had been in a ANACS slab come back cleaned from NGC and take my word for it. The coin had been cleaned. The coin had dark smoked toning and I had NCS conserve it and under all that dark toning was a harsh cleaning.

All it take is a spot like the one on the lower neck of your '81-S Morgan where someone touched the coin up to cover a corrosion spot or something and they will bounce the coin for being "Improperly Cleaned".

You still have not told us who's slab these coins were in.

The 81 S was in that old defunct investment company INS. I've been seeing a heck of a lot of these lately and there will be a lot more. It's been in there since the 80's. I know that doesn't mean anything since I had no control over that. I really thought I was good with this one. It also doesn't mean it's worthless. It's still a keeper for me. I'll keep the other slabs names to myself until we can play the grade game.lol.

INS=International Numismatic Society-Authentification Bureau 1975-1992?, was Washington D.C., Now only found listing under: Charles Hoskins, Listed as: Expert Witness: Finance, Location Box #, Aston, PA.

Would you trust this man to grade your coins? Apparently many did, back in the good-old-days.

Pudden. I think that you might try a lower power loupe like a 6x or so and a good bright light! Turn the coin at different angles under the light while looking at the coin. You might do this even without the loupe. Cleaning hairlines should be noticed as they will break up the cartwheel lustre the silver dollar should have.

INS=International Numismatic Society-Authentification Bureau 1975-1992?, was Washington D.C., Now only found listing under: Charles Hoskins, Listed as: Expert Witness: Finance, Location Box #, Aston, PA.

Would you trust this man to grade your coins? Apparently many did, back in the good-old-days.

INS was in Washington DC until 1992 when it moved to Philadelphia. The last slab seen from INS was from Aston PA and is dated from 1997 but I don't know when that move took place. Hoskins did not join INS until late 1976 or early 1977 and then as President not as a grader. In fact at that time INS was not grading coins. Grading did not begin for a couple more years. Before he joined INS, Charles Hoskins was the Director of ANACS from 1972 to late 1976. His signature can be found on the backs of many of the earliest ANACS certificates.

So why any hard words to NGC ? they did their job perfectly ! as usual..

Because I'm not convinced any marks on it have anything to do with being cleaned. But if their policy is any swipe mark,no matter how small gets a BB,then that's their policy.

So why any hard words to NGC ? they did their job perfectly ! as usual..

Because I'm not convinced any marks on it have anything to do with being cleaned. But if their policy is any swipe mark,no matter how small gets a BB,then that's their policy.

Cleaning is not always referred to or determined by, as marks on a coin. Cleaning can also effect color & luster.