• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1786 gold spanish carol RARITY ?

2 posts in this topic

Hey, cookbook.

Would a picture be possible? I'd like to help you out if I can. I am far from expert in this area, but if you can tell me the size of the coin (in comparison to a U.S. dime, quarter, half...) and if you could describe what "design" is on the back, I'd be happy to give it a shot. Another possibility, in the middle on the reverse you might find: 1 S, 2 S, 4 S or 8 S. This tells how many escudos the coin is and then I could probably identify it. The letter number combination (like 2s) are placed like:

2 with a shield between S

Whether it is slab quality, hard to say without seeing it. If it has any noticeable damage, cleaning, rim nicks or any other distractions, it may not be worth the slab process...but again....I don't think anyone can tell you this without actually seeing the coin.

Depending on the denomination (which I will try to determine from the size description you post or how many escudos the coin is) and condition, it can run in value from $60 on up to $1500 plus. Also, on the back near the very bottom of the coin, do you see a "FM" or a "C" , or a "DV" , or a "CM", this will help narrow down the value a bit as well. I believe that these marks are designer's initials.

There are some guys out there that are far more knowledgable than I am with this stuff. I'll be happy to help any way I can...but maybe one of the experts can jump in and help me out. By the way, there are no "mintage figures" so rarity is hard to determine.

Hope to hear back from you. RI AL