• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1794 Starred Reverse

10 posts in this topic

I once had one in my invetory as a dealer. That's as close as I ever had to owning one. I always had a wall between my collection and inventory. Like a pet shop owner I didn't want to get attached to any coins inventory.

I once had one in my invetory as a dealer. That's as close as I ever had to owning one. I always had a wall between my collection and inventory. Like a pet shop owner I didn't want to get attached to any coins inventory.

I don't know, I would have a really hard time with that. I'd get a monster toned 66FBL Franklin in my inventory, and I'd have a mighty hard time letting it go. Or something cool like one of these starred cents.

So, how much did you get for it when it sold? How much did you pay for it?

I don't know, I would have a really hard time with that. I'd get a monster toned 66FBL Franklin in my inventory, and I'd have a mighty hard time letting it go. Or something cool like one of these starred cents.

There were three problems with it.

First, it was an unattractive coin that probably would not have gotten into a holder had it not been for the variety.

Two, my cost was $14,500. At that time I simply could not have afforded to have set it aside.

Three, it didn't really fit anywhere in my collection except as an oddity. I collect mostly type when it comes to U.S. coins. I don't don't collect large cents by die variety or date. It's okay to have an odd ball coin that you like that cost you a few hundred. Having $14 grand in one is another story. (shrug)

I've never owned one but I've had the chance to handle several different specimens.

My greatest shock with one was when I ran across one in a 2X2 box of early large cents just sitting out on a dealers table. Just a little 10 inch single row box with items in it ranging from $20 and up with a little tag sign saying "prices are firm". I'm just flipping through the 94's and up pops one marked "starred reverse", flipped it over and sure enough it was! I think the price on the 2X2 was $3,000.

One small correction to the NGC article, the number known is closer to 70 than 40. This coin will soon be a high R-4 if it isn't already. (In Pete Smith's book on the S-48 written back in the 80's he traced about 58 individual specimens and I've let him know of at least four other specimens I located plated in auction catalogs that he did not have listed. Other new ones have shownup since then so I think "around 70" would be a safe figure.