• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I May Have Need of CAC

16 posts in this topic

okay "need" may be a bit out of context, but I have been thinking and I believe CAC may be able to help with my conundrum.

The simple matter is, I have been exceptionally picky in assembling my Walker short set...often I pass up an MS66 at a lower price and pay up to $200 more for a nicer coin of the same grade.

I'd like my pickiness to be rewarded and my exemplary coins to stand out from the "run of the mill" and overrgraded coins.

All MS66's are not even close to equal, strike quality, luster/flowlines and cleaness are musts for my coins in this set but I see many that are a bit wanting...

Only problem is, I have no idea of how to submit coins to them. This will be done purely for my own satisfaction--not for any valuation increase (since I don't plan to sell) and also for the purpose of having my coins, which were put through my stringent criteria, stand out a bit from the pack....

is this a good reason do you think?...I know that many are anti-CAC, but how else to show that mine are exemplary in comparison to the cheaper, overgraded hoards?

It sounds like a needless waste of money to me. After all, they are your coins! Why not get your satisfaction out of them for your reasons?

CAC is just another anonymous, unknown faceless "expert" professing "expert opinions" that likely have nothing whatever to do with your goals.

Just my two cents worth. There's a reason why I am very selective about who I share my "real" collection with!

Well, it sounds like you just want a second or third or fourth opinion on your coins to reaffirm your choices. Maybe an ego boost? Bragging rights? If that is worth the amount of money you will spend on CAC, then go for it. I personally would not want to do it, because to me a top-notch set of coins speaks for themselves - at least to the sort of people that you would care to have their opinions. If people need a CAC sticker to tell them the coin is great, then they aren't really the ones you want judging your collection: they are judging the CAC sticker, not your knockout coins.

unless you are selling NOW then do not submit the coins to an authorized cac submitter

as only when you are ready to sell will this sticker add liquidity hence value

if you are NEVER SELLING as you say then it is a waste of your time and money

for example------ mark feld is an official authorized submitter

as you cant submit directly to cac yourself you need to go through an authorized submitter

Well, it sounds like you just want a second or third or fourth opinion on your coins to reaffirm your choices. Maybe an ego boost? Bragging rights? If that is worth the amount of money you will spend on CAC, then go for it. I personally would not want to do it, because to me a top-notch set of coins speaks for themselves - at least to the sort of people that you would care to have their opinions. If people need a CAC sticker to tell them the coin is great, then they aren't really the ones you want judging your collection: they are judging the CAC sticker, not your knockout coins.

I was going to say about the same thing, (thumbs u so I'll just go with yeah...

Especially if you're planning on never selling your collection, personally if I were planning on never parting with my coins they'd be out of the plastic.

But I will part with my coins someday and will do what ever I can at that time to increase their market value, if in a few years from now fourth party opinions like a CAC sticker are desirable and bring in higher offers, (over the net cost of the process), I'll go that route.

Who knows, maybe raw coins will come back some day, hm See what your are buying! lol:insane:lol

Either find an authorized CAC submitter(coin dealer )in your area or the second option is to find out what coin shows they attend and they will do it for you there. I think anyone who collects high end Walkers will recognize truly superior coins ad CAC won't help or hurt.

is this a good reason do you think?...I know that many are anti-CAC, but how else to show that mine are exemplary in comparison to the cheaper, overgraded hoards?

The concept of the CAC is fantastic, which is to get an additional opinion about your coins. I just don't think the cost is justified. Now, I will not brag about my own qualifications, nor will I claim to be the top numismatic eye in the country - leave that to "fourth party graders". But I would be delighted to go over your coins with you anytime and give you my free and untethered opinion on your coins. You would know for an absolute fact that there were not ulterior motives (ie. "profits") expected, since I'd do it for free.

Seriously, if you plan to come to the Silver Dollar Show, bring your coins, and let's go over them!

man --you guys are an angry bunch...I understand the points you were making behind your thinly veiled vehemence..(James your last post was appreciated)

I think that putting the insults aside ( you know, ego stroking needed, low self esteem, money waster that I am)....you missed my "conundrum"

My coins are not $5000 coins....many fall in the range where they are above the $300 groups but short of the "big jump" from $500/600 to $2500/3000....

My issue is--many of the coins I have are of the quality you see equal to coins that are "slab graded" in the $2500 bracket but mine are housed in slabs in the $500 bracket...

I am confident in my judgement that I have picked prudently and studied this series well....however I do not have the same confidence in others who may not be as discriminating ...or what will happen when a beneficiary tries to sell them and only gets the sheet offer for the slab grade ( or worse)....

I think I may be done posting here at the NGC forums...for a while I just learned to ignore the pompous and condescending remarks of TDN and his cronies, but now the meaness and arrogance have spread...maybe it's the election year where everything that is said is negative or twisted....

See ya.....and good luck with your collecting.... to those I've considered friends, best of everything..

man --you guys are an angry bunch...I understand the points you were making behind your thinly veiled vehemence..(James your last post was appreciated)

I think that putting the insults aside ( you know, ego stroking needed, low self esteem, money waster that I am)....you missed my "conundrum"

My coins are not $5000 coins....many fall in the range where they are above the $300 groups but short of the "big jump" from $500/600 to $2500/3000....

My issue is--many of the coins I have are of the quality you see equal to coins that are "slab graded" in the $2500 bracket but mine are housed in slabs in the $500 bracket...

I am confident in my judgement that I have picked prudently and studied this series well....however I do not have the same confidence in others who may not be as discriminating ...or what will happen when a beneficiary tries to sell them and only gets the sheet offer for the slab grade ( or worse)....

I think I may be done posting here at the NGC forums...for a while I just learned to ignore the pompous and condescending remarks of TDN and his cronies, but now the meaness and arrogance have spread...maybe it's the election year where everything that is said is negative or twisted....

See ya.....and good luck with your collecting.... to those I've considered friends, best of everything..

If you are worried about your beneficiaries receiving maximum value for the coins, I'd suggest leaving instructions for the coins to be sold via a large public auction by the company of your choice. Far more times than not, coins of extra nice quality bring their deserved premiums, as knowledgeable bidders fight over them.

While James made a nice offer, his opinion does not begin to carry the same weight as that of CAC. Nor is it accompanied by strong bids, as many CAC coins are. I mean no disrespect to James with that comment either - I could just as easily substitute my name or just about anyone else's to make the same point.

While TDN apparently rubbed you the wrong way with some of his posts, I think he often provides excellent information and perspectives that would be difficult to find elsewhere. And in person, he is as nice of a guy as you could hope to meet.

Lastly, please don't let anyone chase you off. Just ignore the posts that bother you, even if some of them are written by me. ;)

Edited to add: Frankly, in this particular thread, at least, I don't see any arrogance or meanness at all. Perhaps you misconstrued some of the comments or are thinking of what was said in other threads?

If you are worried about your beneficiaries receiving maximum value for the coins, I'd suggest leaving instructions for the coins to be sold via a large public auction by the company of your choice. Far more times than not, coins of extra nice quality bring their deserved premiums, as knowledgeable bidders fight over them.

While James made a nice offer, his opinion does not begin to carry the same weight as that of CAC. Nor is it accompanied by strong bids, as many CAC coins are. I mean no disrespect to James with that comment either - I could just as easily substitute my name or just about anyone else's to make the same point.

I agree with everything Mark states above. There are absolutely no guarantees or assurances that would come with my rendering an opinion of your coins, or Mark doing so, or a buddy in your local coin club. You don't get a sticker from me. The only thing I can offer is that you would be getting a collector's perspective, rather than a businessman's perspective.

Definitely, understanding that an auction as the best way to sell your coins is very important. It's far more important than even the "fourth party opinion"!

Jackson 64----- These times seem to be wearing on all of us. Like with everything else, we tend to be "short" with one another at times. Please sit back and take a deep breathe---RELAX.

As to the Walkers---you know that I am a Walker person. If I were to sell my collection, I would do a major auction sale---after I had made the appropriate business contacts with the auction house---and after I had all the particulars concerning the auction of my coins straightened out to my satisfaction.

Please believe me. The guys who will see the coins in person---will know their quality [ or lack of quality]. If you have MS 66 coins that are PQ or worthy of a higher grade, they will bid accordingly. If the auction house takes good pictures, the folks receiving the catalogues will see the quality and bid accordingly. The auction house's descriptions will make a difference----you can tell ahead of time how that might be worded. I have been very pleased with descriptions of my coins in the past. This can be talked about with the auction house beforehand. At least in my cases this has been done.

As to any CAC stickers at the moment, I would NOT do it---especially if you have no need or desire to sell at the moment. Why spend the momey if you are satisfied with your coins?? If, however, you are not sure, then a trip to a knowledgable Walker collector might be in order. Or to a knowledgable dealer like MARK FELD----whom we all know is a decent and reliable fellow----and honest too.

One thing else. Leave your personality etc.etc. at the door. It serves NO purpose to let one's feelings determine what happens to the coins. They are what they are---and subject to anyone's subjective opinion. You would only know for sure whether you did well----after the coins were sold. Take care. Bob [supertooth]

Jackson64, I also do not know you very well. However, I believe though, that many collectors myself included, put much of themselves and their ego into their collections. That is part of what makes a person an accomplished collector and makes their collections special.

I honestly do not know how one makes their collection stand out from the crowd, as you put it except to buy the best coins that you can afford and to be selective. A CAC sticker may be the thing that makes you feel more accomplished with your set. Only you can decide if that is the best course for you. However, no one now can predict if the CAC sticker may even mean anything to the collector of coins 25 years from now.

The bottom line as I see it, and as Bob said is that the collection's coins will speak for themselves to anyone who sees them and who is an advanced collector of Walkers. For the people that do not see the quality and value of your collection that is their loss, not yours.

I always feel that I am the final judge of my collection and the opinion of others on this board or elsewhere, while important, is not the final criteria of how I judge my collection. I also worry about what will happen to my coins when I am gone, particularly because I am in poor health. Plus, my best friend of 35 years died today from the effects of lung cancer, complicated by diabetes. I often worry what will happen to my coins when they are sold by my heirs. All I can do is leave clear, concise instructions and hope that my heirs will follow them.

I just sold a large portion of my collection, with many of the coins being the best that I could find and afford. The classic coins that I have sold in a few sales over the past (4) years, including this current sale, have drawn strong prices for which I am glad. I also hope that the coin's new owners cherish these coins as much as I did.

As far as I'm concerned, yes, it is a good reason. I know I was in a simliar situation when I submitted my coins to CAC, and I found a great deal of value in the process....Mike

p.s. that said, I think PQ coins will speak for themselves, but the sticker can't/won't hurt.

If, however, you are not sure, then a trip to a knowledgable Walker collector might be in order.

Hi, Bob! I was wondering how long it would take for you to "chime in" since your Walker set is a source of great pride for you.

From the very start of this thread, I was thinking of suggesting to Jackson that he should talk to you about his set, but I didn't want to put either of you on the spot. It sounds to me like you have intimated that.

I'm neither pro nor con on CAC. It hasn't affected me because I have no interest in selling. I don't have any CAC-stickered coins in my collection, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy one if I liked the coin.

Chris

The concept of the CAC is fantastic, which is to get an additional opinion about your coins. I just don't think the cost is justified. Now, I will not brag about my own qualifications, nor will I claim to be the top numismatic eye in the country - leave that to "fourth party graders". But I would be delighted to go over your coins with you anytime and give you my free and untethered opinion on your coins. You would know for an absolute fact that there were not ulterior motives (ie. "profits") expected, since I'd do it for free.

Seriously, if you plan to come to the Silver Dollar Show, bring your coins, and let's go over them!

I will. :D