• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

~ NEWS on the NEW NGC holder ~

14 posts in this topic

New NGC Holder Enters Next Phase of Release

The next generation of the NGC coin holder, featuring enhanced security features, is scheduled for wide-scale release beginning Wednesday, October 1, 2008. Since late-August, this holder has been used for selected World coin and Walkthrough submissions. Following its very successful month-long initial release, the new holder exterior will now be used for all submissions.

While the new exterior and new label will be used for all submissions, the EdgeView® Holder, which enables viewing of a coin’s edge, will be used only for US Walkthrough and US Express tier submissions and all World tier submissions. At NGC’s discretion it will be used on additional grading tiers. The EdgeView® Holder is set for full-scale release for all service lines in the first quarter of 2009. In the interim, the standard NGC format holder interior will be used with high-security outer casing and label.

In order to maintain turnaround times, is not possible to make special requests for specific holders and the previous generation of NGC holder will no longer be available effective October 1, 2008.

“Our service commitment is to encapsulate coins in the most secure holder, made from the best materials available,” comments NGC CEO, Steve Eichenbaum. “This iterative release schedule allows us to expand the availability of the best holder in the most expedient and responsible way,” continues Eichenbaum.

The NGC holder is made from the same materials used in the NGC-developed museum holder created for the Smithsonian. The Smithsonian conducted its own independent tests of that holder, which today is used to house the 200 most valuable coins in its collection. State-of-the-art holography has been incorporated into holograms both on the label and fused onto the holder’s exterior, and directional pressure welding is used to seal the holder cleanly and completely. More information about NGC’s newest generation holder can be found online at www.ngccoin.com/newholder.

I don't have a problem on larger coins (at least the size of a quarter) but for the smaller coins the overhang from the prongs could cover a significant portion of the coin's face.

I'm mainly concerned that the edgeview isn't going to be available now, until 2009; and that's not what the original press release said. That's why I posted this update. Read through the new one carefully; they are going to use the new label and shell after October 1, and use the edgeview only in certain instances, of their choosing only. Then the edgeview will become standard in early 2009.

With all the new stuff done to the NGC holder will it make it easier to photograph NGC coins? Also is the plastic any clearer than it has been for the last several years? I wish NGC would go to back to first Gen white holders with the gold stamp! Those were the clearest holders NGC ever had. Also the scratches would polish off very well!

I would think that the edgeview would make it easier to photgraph, simply because you don't have a solid piece casting shadows right on the coin. I'm not sure how obstrusive the prongs are, though - that might be a disadvantage for photos.

I was thinking the prongs on smaller coins nickel , dime, half-dime, and etc. might be more of a problem than what I have to deal with now . I can take a shot of a ANACS, PCGS coin and get a good photo (for me a good photo) with one or two shots. It may take me a dozen or more shots to get a decent photo with that solid white slab in the way. I don't even have the problems with the ANACS old white slabs as I do with the old NGC either.