• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Do You Think Is Wrong With This Coin

7 posts in this topic

Good morning, PrezErrors.

Coin World of September 22, 2008 shows a picture of Monroe discolored dollars. I wonder if this may have happened in some of the Madison coins too? I just don't know. According to the article, there are several theories as to what may have caused the discoloration on the Monroe dollars (and possibly yours???). ANACS has certified several of the coins as "Improperly Mixed Alloy" and PCGS labels them as "Misanneled planchet-sintering". Sintering is the bonding to the planchet during the annealing process of microscopic metallic particles previously left behind in the annealing process. (I learned something!)

Another theory is that the discoloration could be caused by the oxidation of the manganese in the dollar. Improper alloy mix is also an option as is "an incomplete rinse bath process".

I don't know if this applies to your Madison coin, but the look is not too dissimilar to that of the Monroe coins....but then...maybe it's just how they look after being circulated??

RI AL

The mint washing planchets with a solution. Sometimes the coin is not properly rinsed and you end up with ugly toning. This happens to Proof coins from time to time, and it's one of the reasons why a Proof in the mint package goes bad.

What Do You Think Is Wrong With This Coin? Came across this coin and I was wondering what you folks have to say about it, Good and Bad, I'm learning.

The only thing wrong with it is: the mint actually struck it!

lol

There are those who would maybe pawn this off as a "sintered planchet" which I do not believe it is, but be careful. If you found it in a new batch, let someone who knows about these quirks examine it in person.

Good luck.