• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Designation Minimum

12 posts in this topic

In currency PMG will award a note EPQ (exceptional paper quality) as low of a grade as VF-30. What is the lowest grade you have seen a "star designation" coin?

Is there a minimum grade noted in NGC policy?

Dean (shrug)

I believe there was a recent change in policy to allow coins to receive a star designation at virtually any grade level. Of course, I could also be mistaken on this point.

Originally, only coins MS63 and above qualified for the Star. However, in the last year, NGC opened the Star up at all grades. Unfortunately, they have not revised their definition of the Star to include verbage suitable for circulated coins, so their criteria are completely undefined in that sector.

Originally, only coins MS63 and above qualified for the Star. However, in the last year, NGC opened the Star up at all grades. Unfortunately, they have not revised their definition of the Star to include verbage suitable for circulated coins, so their criteria are completely undefined in that sector.

They should keep it that way. Then they have an excuse for being inconsistent. ;)

I believe there was a recent change in policy to allow coins to receive a star designation at virtually any grade level. Of course, I could also be mistaken on this point.
From NGC's website:
On January 1, 2008, NGC expanded its Star Designation to all grades of US coinage up to MS 69 and PF 69. Previously, the Star Designation was limited to coins grading between MS 63/PF 63 and MS 69/PF 69.

This same topic was posted on NGC and Steve, the director of marketing replied:

Dear Dean,

All United States regular coin series are eligible for the NGC Star. Additionally, U.S. Mint pattern coins are eligible for a star, but mint errors are not.

Yes, there is a minimum. A NGC Star will not be applied to coins grading less than MS 63 or PF 63. As the ultimate grade, any coin graded MS 70 or PF 70 will not be eligible for the star.

Best,

Steve

(shrug):juggle::gossip:

This same topic was posted on NGC and Steve, the director of marketing replied:

Dear Dean,

All United States regular coin series are eligible for the NGC Star. Additionally, U.S. Mint pattern coins are eligible for a star, but mint errors are not.

Yes, there is a minimum. A NGC Star will not be applied to coins grading less than MS 63 or PF 63. As the ultimate grade, any coin graded MS 70 or PF 70 will not be eligible for the star.

Best,

Steve

(shrug):juggle::gossip:

It appears that Steve was/is unaware of this NGC article: see here