• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The best part about being a coin dealer....

31 posts in this topic

Today, I placed a (truly) rare coin with a client who had been searching for one for his collection for years. Precisely how many years, I don't know, but it was at least four, and probably many more than that. It was also one of a handful of dates lacking in his extensive collection.

I didn't even find the coin for him. He saw it on a website and asked if I could view it for him. I did so, reported back to him and he bought it.

And, while some people might not believe it, my immense satisfaction has nothing to do with money - other than the coin itself, that is ;) The 3%+ commission I made was completely secondary, and more than I told my client I wanted to charge him. In fact, had I not been able to get the coin for less than the advertised price, I would have gladly placed it at no profit to a very good and generous client who is always a pleasure to deal with.

The best part, by far, about being a dealer, is hearing and/or seeing a client who is happy with a new addition to his collection. And it's even better, when the search has been a long and challenging one.

I don't know if my client will care to post to this thread, and if he chooses not to do so, I respect his wishes. But either way, you know who you are and congratulations. Thank you for letting me share in the experience. :)

Excellent Story and it makes us all happy when a collector fills a hole.

Congrats to both of you for its seems both got satisfaction out of the deal.

Mark,

Dealers get beat up alot of times on these message boards. It's refreshing to hear that the profit of the sale is secondary to you. I guess that is why you have longevity in a tough business. Thanks for sharing! (thumbs u

Dean

And here I thought you were going to write how you ripped off some old lady of all her earthly possessions after her husband passed away without detailed notes as to his multi-million dollar collection. Bummer! hm

Just curious, if you don't mind - what was the coin?
I don't feel that it would be appropriate for me to mention the coin in question unless or until my client gives me permission. If he does, I will be happy to post the information.

That's really cool. I don't know anything about the dealer side of it, but I can only imagine his elation at finding a coin he's been looking for for years. On a much smaller scale, I know my elation at finding a ($25) coin I needed for my Morocco set that I been searching for for 5 years.

Always good to hear about the positive aspects of this hobby. Thanks for sharing this news with all of us...perhaps the purchaser will avail us with the info, I'd be willing to bet it's a real stunner.

I don't know if my client will care to post to this thread, and if he chooses not to do so, I respect his wishes.

Ah ha .. Its a board member :) ... Okay so we all say who it isn't then we will know who it is :)

Wasn't me ... Next~!

Well, "very good and generous client who is always a pleasure to deal with" is ME :grin:;)

I'm a collector of seated half dimes and I had been looking for 1853-O no arrow half dime for several years.

Although demands are small for this coin, supply is very small.

I saw one in dealer's website, but I didn't know this dealer and I was hesitant to buy an expensive(at least to me) coin sight unseen no matter how I needed this date.

Mark was kind enough to contact the dealer, examine the coin in person and reported back to me with his detailed opinion on this coin.

This is not the first time Mark did this for me. He always helps me keep on collecting and he sometimes wouldn't accept handling fee (whitch I think he should)

I really thank Mark for his help. If not for his help, it would have been difficult to keep on collecting US coins for me.

Congratulations to you both. It would appear that each got as they wished--Toyo got the coin he had searched for and Mark dealt with a good customer whom he respected and was happy to serve as a go between. A most reasonable fee in my opinion. Great job.

Jim

Let s see a Picture of this ominous COIN !

Congrats Taro on finding a great coin, a great dealer and a great friend ( good job michael)

Thanks jgrinz

I think it was really fortunate that micael introduced Mark to me.

As for the picture, I don't have the coin in hand yet.

But here's the image by the dealer

ORM1853OH10C1787510-005.jpg

It's graded as MS61 by NGC, but Mark said he might grade it as AU58

To put it Michaels words ...

" Oh My my my "

Very Nice and I was going to say AU before I saw the post below the picture.

Did you get it for AU money ???? Hope so but probably not huh !

Hey, Mark.

What I find so lacking these days is business ethics, professionalism and personal caring service. Sounds like you excell at all 3. It's good to know that some people still do things the old fashioned way! Thanks!!

RI AL

I imagine that most people don't know how rare an 1853-O No Arrows Half Dime is. Just to give you an idea, NGC has graded 19 for all grades combined, with only two of those grading uncirculated, Taro's MS61 and an MS64 example. PCGS has graded a total of 34, including 7 uncirculated pieces. This really is a "rare" coin.

I imagine that most people don't know how rare an 1853-O No Arrows Half Dime is. Just to give you an idea, NGC has graded 19 for all grades combined, with only two of those grading uncirculated, Taro's MS61 and an MS64 example. PCGS has graded a total of 34, including 7 uncirculated pieces. This really is a "rare" coin.

Darn so he paid REALLY strong money then huh ... but I am sure you haggled for him in his stead - Did the dealer move at all under negotiations ???

And my next question is WHY does not the "P" version command the same money having lessor mintage ???

I don't know if I paid AU money or MS money for it because I can't find the auction records of this date in AU-low MS

Seated half dimes from O mint usually come with weak strike so I can't decide if it's AU or MS from the image.

I don't know if I paid AU money or MS money for it because I can't find the auction records of this date in AU-low MS

Seated half dimes from O mint usually come with weak strike so I can't decide if it's AU or MS from the image.

I guess the questions were aimed more towards MARK as the OP than you Taro ..