• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstrike...or am I looking too hard?

3 posts in this topic

On this 1842 MB 8 reales, there are a couple of details that confuse me. The coin is a bit chomped, but under the standing figure is what looks like an anvil and something resembling a flower (?) It doesn't show as clearly in the scan but under the microscope, these things jump out. Also, from the staff at the hand going down to just above the F in FIRME, is a slightly raised area, almost in the shape of one side of a shield. This is also hard to see in the scan. I am thinking that this coin may have been struck over another coin but the reverse doesn't show anything out of place. Am I looking too hard and maybe these are just imperfections during minting?? The anvil thing is a mystery...as none of the pictures in the World Coin Catalog show this mark. What do you think?? Thanks!

peru8-1.jpg

hi there RI AL..

i have checked out Peru coins and see no record of them using anything but letters for mint marks or mint assayers in this time period!

and considering the turmoil for there independence they were having when this coin was minted it would not surprise me that they were using other countries coins as planchers for there own.. when i blow the picture up it looks like a cornucopia under the figure.. ?? could be my eyes.. France used one of them on there coinage in the same era

Intresting find

Thanks, Dooly. I'll cruise through France coins of the period to see if maybe there is one that might have been used for the Peru issue. I wish that there was a bit more of the original design remaining...but it will be fun to look and see if I can find a possible match.

Appreciate your input!

RI Al