• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Three times a charm"............??????????

8 posts in this topic

The U.S. Mint quality really $uck$!

I received my 2008 Silver Proof Sets about a month ago, and I sent them back for replacements. I received the replacements today, and they are just as bad. Besides having more than their fair share of nicks in the frost on nearly every coin, one of the Van Buren dollars has a dark spot on the tip of his nose that looks more like a mole and another States Quarter has a 1/8" scratch in the field.

It has already cost me about $15.00 in (to/from) shipping charges, and if I send them back again, it will amount to nearly $25.00. If I send them back, again, do you think I might get lucky?

I think that once the SQ Program (including the Territories) has ended, I'm quitting the U.S. Mint Proof Set programs altogether, and I'll take the (substantial) savings and begin a new 19th or 20th century series.

Chris

They should reimburse your postage charges if you ask them over the phone. The problems your having is exactly why I was very happy that I was able to be AT the Denver Mint and to select through multiple sets to find a set without issues. It seems like the latter sets are getting tougher to get without any noticeable issues. I feel your pain.

My mom always gets me the mint set for Christmas; she started at the beginning of the State Quarter program. Of the 9 sets so far, only one has had a problem (one of the mylar windows was split open and the half dollar was falling out.) The mint replaced it quickly and with one that was fine. Granted, I'm not really searching for the 70s.

I think that once the SQ Program (including the Territories) has ended, I'm quitting the U.S. Mint Proof Set programs altogether, and I'll take the (substantial) savings and begin a new 19th or 20th century series.

Chris

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

Just out of curiosity, does the Mint acknowledge that it has a quality issue? I know that this should not be an issue, but if they have not acknowledged that they have an issue, then their is not hope in sight-at least for the near future. I have had more problems with my proof sets since the advent of the presidential dollars, I no longer purchase the mint sets, which I have done yearly since 1975. I looked through about 50 2001 up sets and found none to be worthy of a proof set quality. That is a lot of poor quality sets.

Jim

I imagine that the Mint wouldn't care to air their "dirty laundry" because it might adversely affect sales. I, too, have noticed that the quality of the Proof Sets has diminished since the addition of the Prez Dollars. Perhaps the employees feel that they are being overworked and just don't care any more.

I quit buying the Mint Sets the year after they introduced the satin finish. There were so many MS70's in the batch I ordered that I found myself discarding MS69's. I prefer cherrypicking business strikes.

Chris