• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Closer to XF or AU?

7 posts in this topic

The coin is no where near AU. I don't see any mint surface, and it has been cleaned. I too have my doubts that NGC or PCGS would grade it. EF sharpness, but cleaned would be my grade.

Yes, I tend agree that it is closer to XF than AU, but I like getting opinions. I passed on her.

But, again, the cleaning. I can't see any hairlines from the pics, so why does it looked clean? Because of the staggered color appearances?

Yes, I tend agree that it is closer to XF than AU, but I like getting opinions. I passed on her.

But, again, the cleaning. I can't see any hairlines from the pics, so why does it looked clean? Because of the staggered color appearances?

After years of looking at Morgan Silver Dollars or any large denomination silver coins, you get an immediate notion about the condition of the coin just from its overall appearance. There are tell tale signs to look for, but there are so many reasons for a coin to appear the way it does, only the person who did the cleaning/polishing can for certain say what that exact method might have been.

Scanner bed images of silver coins mute the luster (cartwheel) of a coin just as bad as some photo imaging, but in most cases, when an image is taken front on, if there is any luster left on the surfaces of the coin, the luster will be captured to a degree. When no or very little luster is left remaining and the coin seems to be dull and lifeless, it has either circulated or has been mechanically/chemically altered some where along the line.

99.9% of all silver minted coins did at one time come off the presses with luster, some more, some less and some where you needed sunglasses!

If a silver coin has been over dipped or repeatedly cleaned with another solvent or chemical, the luster will fade and the pizzazz of the coin’s surfaces just become so-so. It is readily apparent that something has been done to the coin to change the appearance from the original surfaces.

In fact, ordinary circulation on a coin will dull the surfaces to a point where it falls into the XF range. Once this happens, the remaining mint luster can only be seen extremely close to the devices or inside the lettering.

Hairlines may or may not be present on every cleaned coin. A coin that is harshly cleaned with a wire brush, rag, steel wool or abrasive cleaners will show lines. These are the “dead giveaways” and even the novice collector should be able to pick these out. Properly dipped coins will show no hairlines or spots, but if something is done wrong during the dipping process, time, sauration, rinse, who knows what, the end results will show on the minted surfaces.

Note: Hairlines may be present in proof coins that are only very lightly wiped. The surfaces on proof coins are so delicate, that scratches can form with even the lightest of pressures.

From what I've seen, attempting to make an excellent example of an XF coin into a marginal AU condition coin, can and does lead to ultimate disaster for the coin.

There is no one answer to your question, only many suppositions exist in the realm of guessing a coins true identity.

Hope this helps...if it confuses you more, keep asking.

Me, I stay confused. :grin: