• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XF vs AU

11 posts in this topic

Why are XF coins with a lot of luster being graded AU these days?
The same reason that many coins of other grades are being graded higher than they should be.

(thumbs u

because of gradeflation and mostly because of the services want you to keep submitting and RE SUBMITTING already graded coins over and over again for higher grades the services only MAKE MONEY ON SUBMISSIONS/CROSSOVERS/RE-GRADES

and in this market the same coin but in the same higher graded holder brings more!!

CRAZY BUT GO FIGURE

this is why when i look at a coin in a slab i ask myself if i broke this coin out of the slab what is it worth ?? if the value is not the same or higher raw than in the holder i will not consider the coin for purchase

THINK ABOUT IT

hm

another thought .............................

i had asked one of the main principals of pcgs this same question at the spring baltimore show and he told me that it is current market grading that does float/change over time

so the coin is correctly graded as to current market grading acceptance as the xf is now au50 and of course this was not the case 15-20 years ago but currently in this market this is what is currently accepted as au50 the old xf45

and the market rules

To ensure TPG revenues.

Part of the problem with publically traded TPGs is that once a company is public, the never-ending chase for revenue ensues. If coin standards were static, then this would limit the revnue over time as coins get holdered. However, introduce gradeflation, and viola, you have a never-ending revenue stream.

All IMHO....MIke

The same reason that many coins of other grades are being graded higher than they should be.

(thumbs u

because of gradeflation and mostly because of the services want you to keep submitting and RE SUBMITTING already graded coins over and over again for higher grades the services only MAKE MONEY ON SUBMISSIONS/CROSSOVERS/RE-GRADES

and in this market the same coin but in the same higher graded holder brings more!!

CRAZY BUT GO FIGURE

this is why when i look at a coin in a slab i ask myself if i broke this coin out of the slab what is it worth ?? if the value is not the same or higher raw than in the holder i will not consider the coin for purchase

THINK ABOUT IT

hm

Well said, Michael! Excellent advice on purchasing slabbed coins (thumbs u

I believe that it is unusual to find original-skinned coinage in the EF grade range that still retains significant luster.

My opinion exactly. If there are a bunch of EF graded coins on the market with lots of luster, I've yet to run into them. More often I've seen Choice VF coins getting called EF.

So far as luster goes, an EF-45 coin should have some luster in the protected areas. I don't think that you need a lot of luster, just some. An EF-40 coin might show traces, but it's not required. These standards were in place among honest dealers and collectors before there were grading services.

You have got to go back to the 1960s to find people that said there was no difference or not much difference between EF and AU.

Sorry, Oldtrader3, but I don't know if I could call that one an EF. It might be the picture, but the "LIBERTY" on the shield is not showing up on my monitor. The “LIBERTY” on these coins is higher than it is for other liberty seated coins. Therefore there are some allowances made in the grading of these coins in low end VF and Fine, but we are talking EF here.

And I know that technical grading might dictate that a weak strike in that area with combined with surface grading techniques might get this coin to EF. BUT slabs consider market grading too, and a weak “LIBERTY” on a EF graded coin is very, very hard sell.