• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Randall's Randall hoard coin

13 posts in this topic

Since I first heard of the Randall Hoard I have wanted to own one. Maybe it's because I like early copper or maybe it was the story behind the hoard. Or maybe it was simply because my name is Randall. I suspect it is a combination of these reasons along with a few others I haven't thought of yet.

I wasn't too particular about the date that I wanted but I did want it to be relatively nice looking and not too spotty. i also wanted one of the varieties with the large circular die crack. Well, I finally found one that I like that came with a price that I also liked. This one is graded by NGC as MS63 BN. The hits on the chin and neck don't jump out as much in hand as they do in these pictures but otherwise the images are fairly accurate.

65979.jpg.c9535882f7d5fa960a95ae628e3761cf.jpg

I have been wanting one as well but I see, to unload all my spare cash on Toned Morgans.......if I only had a little patience lol

I like your example and agree that the obverse marks do little to detract from the eye appeal :applause:

Thanks for the comments. I hadn't thought about those marks being keg marks but that makes perfect sense and they don't bother me. There is one spot below star 10 and I hope it's not going to grow.

That looks like a coin I sold on eBay back in July. In fact I think its the same coin - I remember the marks.

That just shows that I am less than three months behind in my picture taking. :blush: I did buy the coin from you but didn't realize that I was buying from a board member. This coin sold in the June 2004 Long Beach Signature sale which seems to be where you took your ebay description from. The pictures on Heritage make the coin look solid brown though they did mention that it had a good bit of color. Your pictures made the coin look too red due to whatever lighting you used. While not perfect I think my pictures show more closely what the coin looks like in hand.

I have been wanting one as well but I see, to unload all my spare cash on Toned Morgans.......if I only had a little patience lol

That's one reason I don't collect toned Morgan's. It just ties up too much spare cash. But it's a good choice for someone with little patience since they are so easy to find. :baiting:

Thanks for the comments. I hadn't thought about those marks being keg marks but that makes perfect sense and they don't bother me. There is one spot below star 10 and I hope it's not going to grow.

That looks like a coin I sold on eBay back in July. In fact I think its the same coin - I remember the marks.

That just shows that I am less than three months behind in my picture taking. :blush: I did buy the coin from you but didn't realize that I was buying from a board member. This coin sold in the June 2004 Long Beach Signature sale which seems to be where you took your ebay description from. The pictures on Heritage make the coin look solid brown though they did mention that it had a good bit of color. Your pictures made the coin look too red due to whatever lighting you used. While not perfect I think my pictures show more closely what the coin looks like in hand.

That's one reason I don't collect toned Morgan's. It just ties up too much spare cash. But it's a good choice for someone with little patience since they are so easy to find. :baiting:

I think you just summed up my whole life.....no patience......but I do have some nice stuff because of it :banana: