• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1825 Bust 50C ~ What does it grade? ~REVEALED ~

25 posts in this topic

The 1825 O-114 half dollar is problem free and nothing is hidden by the cotton gloves I'm holding it with. Both sides have noticeable cartwheel in the fields and lots of frost. A very pleasing soft pastel patina is not showing because of the angles of the shots. What do you think it graded, and at which service? As with the 1829/7, I would like to get as many guesses as possible before I reveal the answer.

Good luck…you’re gonna need it! :wishluck:

1825o50.jpg

1825r50.jpg

since it is impossible to grade a coin from a photo

it is hard to say

but

from the great photo and sight seen might be different; i see a coin that grades in my minds eye xf/au better than xf not quite au

from an investor pricing service i think there is a 50/50 chance it got bodybagged

just from the photo but again sight seen might be different

Weakly struck, uneven wear VF-35 example (there would be no reason for ANACS so 50/50 guess between NGC and PCGS)

Guessing NCG and hoping it got at least an XF-40!

Technically, it is EF-45, but I could easily see it bumped to AU-50 by a grading service due to the unusually nice surface quality. It's a fantastic coin!

James, there are a few inconspicuous handling marks that do not show in the obverse shot, however it is a fairly clean coin and the luster you see is real!

Last month, NGC graded this coin VF35! What? A VF35 with cartwheel luster and almost no loss of detail due to wear! NGC really missed the mark on this coin, just like on the 1829/7.

Yesterday, PCGS graded this coin XF45, just like on the 1829/7! A bit closer, but anything less than AU50 is dissappointing on this minimally circulated, lustrous coin.

And today, I found this:

http://www.davidlawrence.com/auctions/viewitem.cfm?Inventory=263476&auc=293&lotid=528140&imgbase=&CFID=482037&CFTOKEN=164d2eb105be692b-94B28A2A-2BFC-0A80-302D39D41A03DB57

Same variety, same wear, same strike, bright and unnatural, PCGS AU53

Maybe I should dip it, hahaha meh

VF35 is an insult to that coin !!

I think NGC is getting very tough . I was at my local dealer last month. He had a killer 1911 Half Eagle that looked like a strong MS63 . He thought for sure it would get at least a 63, he is a very conservative tough grader. The coin came back from NGC as a 62 !!

That coin had a great strike , minimal small marks and a strong strike .

...That coin had a great strike , minimal small marks and a strong strike .

Mark, make up your mind - was it a "great strike" or a "strong strike" or both ? :devil:

It was a great strong strike !! :frustrated: I was doing too many other things when I wrote that post. That Indian Half Eagle was a fantastic looking coin , the dealer sold it as a 62 rather then resubmitting. Mark did you pick up some nice goodies last week at Heritage ?

It was a great strong strike !! :frustrated: I was doing too many other things when I wrote that post. That Indian Half Eagle was a fantastic looking coin , the dealer sold it as a 62 rather then resubmitting. Mark did you pick up some nice goodies last week at Heritage ?
Yes. :)

VF35 is an insult to that coin !!

I think NGC is getting very tough . I was at my local dealer last month. He had a killer 1911 Half Eagle that looked like a strong MS63 . He thought for sure it would get at least a 63, he is a very conservative tough grader. The coin came back from NGC as a 62 !!

That coin had a great strike , minimal small marks and a strong strike .

Both grading services are tough right now, but 1 grade difference is nothing to get upset over. It's when you are off by 3 or 4 grades that means they've dropped the ball. Heck, PCGS doesnt even cover coins that are off by more than 2 grades in their current guarrantee! ...something to think about. hm

I'm sure there were a few of you who thought I was nuts saying VF-35, but I was glad to learn you finally scored an XF-45!

Well, you had the disadvantage of not seeing it in person. I actually bought this as an ICG XF45, new holder. It's clearly AU, but I was pleased to at least reserect my original grade.

I think the moral is not to put all your faith in the TPG opinion, as it's not always well founded or researched. That's clear after reviewing the examples of both the 1829/7 and 1825 halves I've posted.