• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3 Cent Silver - Redux

7 posts in this topic

Hello, everybody! My first post was 16 months ago, concerning a 3 cent silver piece I had recently purchased. That thread can be found here. I have learned a lot from this board about coins since then, and for that I say thanks!

Since I was little, looking through the Red Book, I thought it would be nice to have one of each coin shown. Naturally, I figured a type set would be best. So I went and got a Dansco 7070 album, and I've been filling it up.

Flipping through it today, I noticed the poor clean damaged trime from my first post didn't look like it did when I got it. There is much more rim toning than when it first entered into my possession. I am pleasantly surprised. The rainbow Morgans that show up here are awesome, but my tastes favor the less dramatic earthy tones.

Here is the first picture, from May of last year.

3CentSilver-Web.jpg

Here are pictures of the coin today.

3CentSilver-1852-2008-09Medium.jpg

3CentSilver-1852-2008-09PortionSmal.jpg

I didn't realize a coin would change so much in a year's time (aside from the intentional methods that might be applied). I wonder what it will look like in the next year.

:hi:

Dipped or previously cleaned surfaces can become fairly reactive especially if they are not neutralized thoroughly. Your coin had been cleaned at one point and this may have contributed to the rapid change in appearance once it was placed in an album.

So how far have you gotten? I picked up a cool littel 1860 trime a few weeks ago.

Like the dirt at v11'oclock? I've got a few ohers,51 VF,52 Vf,58 AU. Not sure of the grade on this one?

603cent2.jpg

603cent1.jpg

Those are good looking trimes. As for the album, I have seven holes, plus two more that are in desperate need of upgrade. After that, I will start upgrading the lesser pieces. Two of my holes are seated dollars, which run on the pricey end for this collector. They will probably be the last holes to get filled.

Not sure of the grade on this one?

I'd grade it VF-30. It's a nice coin for that grade. These tiny pieces often did not make out very well incirculation because there is not much to them.

Not sure of the grade on this one?

I'd grade it VF-30. It's a nice coin for that grade. These tiny pieces often did not make out very well incirculation because there is not much to them.

I wonder if it'd be worth trying to get rid of the gunk.Though it looks like someone else may have already tried..It's got that stuff in a lot of the low spots and inside the letters an numerals. Sorry for the overexposed pic,the coin is better in normal light.