• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 1887 S Liberty Seated Dime suddenly got better.

8 posts in this topic

My dime I previewed in the "Hey, Buddy can you spare a grade" section this week suddenly improved. While seeing which Ahwash attribution to use to list it in my Pro Coin software I discovered that this is a Medium S over small s coin that is listed as a rarity of 7. I have never had a coin in this rarity range before. Too cool.

Here's a pic of the mintmark. The first two pics are of my coin and the third is Gerry Fortins that he provides on his website. According to Kamal M. Ahwash only 10 to 12 exist(maybe 13 now). This has not been officially attributed yet so nothing is for certain. My fingers are crossed.

Thanks for reading.

Jim

MediumSoversmalls.jpg

MediumSoversmallscloseup.jpg

1887s_104_rev_diag2--GerryFortins.jpg

Oh well, Gerry Fortin just contacted me on his forum and i have an 1887 S Medium S over Medium S, no great prize I guess. My bad. See what getting excited gets you? lol

Thanks gang,

Jim

Edited to add: Gerry explained that Kamal M Ahwash was evidently wrong in his

explanation of a Medium S over small s as none exists. Still this is not a readily available coin, so time will tell--Jim