• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would this coin benefit from conservation?

12 posts in this topic

I asked this question over on the Ask NCS board, but I thought I'd try and get some learned opinions from y'all here in the meantime. One note, I know that paying an NCS fee would be a little much on a coin of this value, but let's set that aside for the moment...I could probably return the coin, but I'd rather conserve it if I could since it's a 3/0 top pop and I'm unlikely to find another for some time.

I'd like to know if this britannia would benefit from conservation (it's currently in PCGS MS68 plastic). There are some spotting issues on both sides which I've attempted to photograph, although the one on the reverse (pictured) is the worst. Do you think it would have a good shot at maintaining the grade in an NGC slab afterwards?

I would also like to know if this coin would fall under the modern tier flat rate - I wasn't sure since it's already slabbed.

MODERN TIER $22.50

Submit any uncertified US or World coin struck from 1970 to present. One flat-fee includes conservation at NCS and NGC certification. Following conservation, your coins are transferred to NGC where they are graded and encapsulated in the NGC holder. Please note NGC does not grade coins with detrimental surface conditions. Coins not eligible for NGC grading will receive NCS details grading and encapsulation. Not genuine coins or coins with altered dates or mint marks will be returned uncertified. Special Note: Please submit coins for Modern Tier on a separate submission form.

brit_2007MS68_surface1.jpg

brit_2007MS68_surface2.jpg

brit_2007MS68_surface3.jpg

brit_2007MS68_surface4.jpg

just from photos i think this coin could POSSIBLY slightly benefit from conservation nothing is for sure

but once you break it out of the pcgs plastic i think it would not go back into ms 68 pcgs plastic after the conservation as the hole will still be there abet the same color as the rest of the coin

i would return the coin right now

the pops be damned

Is this milk spotting? If so, who was it that had found a cure for it? I want to say Mike, jgrinz, but I don't remember.

On second thought, it kind of looks like someone sneezed or spit on it. Is it slabbed? Try some acetone first, and then go from there.

It's PCGS MS68 now. I wouldn't be bothered if it made NGC MS68, but I'd be disappointed if it dropped lower. I don't believe it's milk spotting. The color is more of a brownish color, like you'd get from a sneeze or talking over a coin.

It looks like some kind of residue that is reacting witht he surface. It could probably be safely removed, but it might not be worth the cost and risk. It could also be dip residue, which may have eaten into the surface. Removal of dip residue will leave hidious white spots and most likely will result in a substantial downgrade.

Is this milk spotting? If so, who was it that had found a cure for it? I want to say Mike, jgrinz, but I don't remember.

On second thought, it kind of looks like someone sneezed or spit on it. Is it slabbed? Try some acetone first, and then go from there.

Nope Destroys PROOFS :(