• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1835 Half Cent - PVC Damage?

7 posts in this topic

I picked up this half cent the other day. The picture with the white (gray) background shows the color closer to how it is in hand. You can see more detail in the picture with the red background.

HalfCent-1835-2Medium.jpg

HalfCent-1835-1Medium.jpg

There are a few spots that look like green gunk, which I presume would be PVC damage. Can any of y'all offer any thoughts on that? Any grade opinions would be welcome, too.

HalfCent-1835-PVC1Medium.jpg

HalfCent-1835-PVC2Medium.jpg

HalfCent-1835-PVC3Medium.jpg.

Try Methylene Chloride. You can buy it at the paint store and it is non-flammable. Try soaking the coin for a week in solvent and then clean it with a toothpick or orange stick and then soak it in olive oil for another (2) weeks. The verdigris should come off after soaking and rubbing the verdigris carefully with a fingernail stick or toothpick.

Thanks for the info, everybody. I'm glad it's not PVC damage. The tips for verdigris removal are appreciated.

F15... maybe VF20 on a good day...

I, too, thought it was a solid F, maybe VF, knowing full well my grade would be biased. The dealer had it marked Fine. I'm quite pleased with it. It replaces the one below, which I got for considerably less. Coincindentally, they are the same date.

:smile:

HalfCent-1835-Pic1.jpg

HalfCent-1835-Pic2.jpg

HalfCent-1835-Pic3.jpg