• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If this coin was yours...what would you do with it?

22 posts in this topic

Be kind, guys. If this coin was yours, would you melt it, crack it out and pass it off as a dime, or do you think NCS could do something with it to make it more presentable? I'm not sure what the discoloration is, but under magnification it does not seem like corrosion. If I could have gotten a better picture, the "dark spot" is not as bad as it seems and is really a deep gold color. Again, under the microscope, the entire obverse design is clear and sharp, just kinda' ugly. It is in a NNC slab...so I know that says ...something...but I'm not sure what. This half dime is the only Rarity 6 coin that I own so I would like to do the right thing. Your thoughts would be appreciated!

RI Al

1795002-1-1.jpg

1795001-1.jpg

RI AL, I would think that NCS could do something with this coin to make it market presentable again. I can not see the coin well enough to tell what it is.

It's not the camers that's the problem...it's the photographer. I'll try again tomorrow when the light's better. At least the reverse is pretty clear...

RI AL

Honestly, I think the best thing you could do with that coin would be to send it to me and not worry about it anymore.

Boy arnt you grabby :takeit:

From the little bit I can see of it, I wouldn't do a thing to it and I sure wouldn't send it to NCS. Why would you want a silly looking lightened or light coin from the late 1700's instead of a toned one that looks natural/its age?

Edited to add: If you like it keep it, and if you don't, sell it.

oh my little tender half sister

leave it............... as is if it aint broke dont fix it

with the condition it is in rigyht now it is worth more with the crust and looking like an approx. 200 year old coin

Why do anything, Al. You've got a beautiful piece of history, naturally toned, and encased for protection(regardless of being by NNC-still protected). I see no upside to doing anything with it, even if you sell it, it will probably bring more from these pics than being cleaned by NCS. I would be tickled to have the coin, so if it offends thee, send it to mee. Good luck.

Jim

Why do anything, Al. You've got a beautiful piece of history, naturally toned, and encased for protection(regardless of being by NNC-still protected). I see no upside to doing anything with it, even if you sell it, it will probably bring more from these pics than being cleaned by NCS. I would be tickled to have the coin, so if it offends thee, send it to mee. Good luck.

Jim

oh my little tender half sister

leave it............... as is if it aint broke dont fix it

with the condition it is in rigyht now it is worth more with the crust and looking like an approx. 200 year old coin

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

Yeah dare, that's what I'd say, eh

Nice fix of the photo Mike, :applause: you little photoshop monkey...

Good morning/afternoon, Guys.

Well I asked for it...and I GOT it...by the bushelfull. Thanks for your comments. I probably won't be trading it in for a new camera anytime soon :blush:, and jgrinz was kind enough to enhance my miserable attempt at photos so the details can be seen a little more clearly. The NCS thing is still on my mind, but after reading your comments, some of you are thinking that the coin is just "natural". (------ ugly in my opinion. :censored:..). Maybe a nice, new, shiny 1795 half dime isn't the best fate for the old gal so NCS is still under consideration but probably, after your comments, less likely.

Also, thanks to a few of you who offered to kindly take the sucker off my hands! ;) Since I probably won't be able to afford another one in this lifetime, I guess I'll hang on to it . I just wish it had a bit more "eye appeal". doh!

Have a good weekend, everyone, and thanks. Actually, I'm feeling a bit better about the coin now! At least no one told me to melt it down...though I believe someone did suggest digesting it. I expect that THAT process would even out the look a bit. RI AL

You said you flat out do not like the look of the coin. Send it to NCS. It might then even grade with NGC. After that, if you still don't like the look, sell it. At least you tried to get the coin to satisfy you.

Leave the coin as is , anyone who advised you to melt it down must have been kidding.

I agree with Jesbroken , you have a coin from 1795 – great piece of history.

Just about any US Minted coin from 1795 that has any kind of details left on it what so ever, is OK in my book!

Enjoy the history, it may have been in the pocket of John Rutledge, the 2nd Chief Justice of Supreme Court