• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1887 S Liberty Seated Dime grade opinions please

6 posts in this topic

In my humble opinion, it's on the cusp between VF and XF. If there was such a grade as VF 39, that would be my vote. The obverse is strong and the LIBERTY and scroll are sharp and raised, characteristics of an XF coin. I think the knees and head show just a bit too much flatness to qualify as XF...but if it's not XF...it's darned close.

The photos may not be doing this coin justice, but for me eye appeal issues and the general look of the surfaces led me to grade this coin as a Choice VF. Given some of today's lax grading standards, however, you could call it a "commerical EF." I think a lot of bourse dealers who sell raw coins would grade this EF when they were selling it. When they were buying it, that would be another matter. ;)

That's pretty much the way it has always been(this is why used car dealers have two different blue/black books to buy and sell from). Best way to buy cheap and sell high is to use different grading standards-buy vs sell.

Bill, this coin has beautiful lustre from the shield down and along the rock she sits on, it glistens in the light, I'm just no good at capturing it. The reverse has very little lustre, but some. It goes in my 7070 to upgrade an old 1875 CC in VG shape so I'm at least heading upwards.

Thanks all.

Jim