• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw coins

Why raw coins?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Why raw coins?

14 posts in this topic

Many people prefer their coins raw. Many others prefer them slabbed. Most of us probably have a mixture of both. Why do you prefer your coins raw? Your comments are most appreciated!

Storage is another reason I prefer raw coins. Slabs can take up a lot of space. A coin left in mint packaging takes up a disproportionate amount of space, IMO. 2X2's are more flexible for me. Being able to use an album is another reason.

in order:

1. For albums

2. some are worth owning but not the cost of slabbing

3. My $20 gold piece St Gaudens is not slabbed--I like the feel and weight of it in my hand--plus no scratchy plastic to look through

I do have hundreds of slabs though---------when the new 2009 High Relief Gaudens comes out, I will NOT get mine slabbed---I want to be able to take that beauty out periodically and study her while touching it !!

All but one of the tokens and medals are raw. I have like to have my presidential campaign medalets in a series of Eagle holder binders that I have filled over the years. It's the best presentation for the pieces and I enjoy them far more in that form. It also reduces that amount of required storeage space. Slabs take up a lot of room in a safe or safe deposit box.

Taxes, taxes, taxes. People complain about them, yet so many are willing to pay $30 to certify a $50 coin or a $100 or a $150 coin. You see such coins all the time! Why in the name of personal finances would anyone voluntarily pay extra taxes and fees for something? What's this horrible fear people have of possibly losing $20 when they are guaranteed to lose $30 if they foolishly certify unworthy coins? This is possibly my main driving force. (And this doesn't even take into account CAC.)

I adamantly believe $500 is, as a rule of thumb, the minimum value of coins that should be certified. Even then, the tax hit is pretty steep, at well over 5%, but at least then you are in the realm of appreciation just by inflation.

Great poll, Tim!

All of these are decent reasons for prefering raw, but he main reason that all of the coins in my collection are now raw (regardless of whether or not they were when I bought them) is that I simply think they look better that way.

Taxes, taxes, taxes. People complain about them, yet so many are willing to pay $30 to certify a $50 coin or a $100 or a $150 coin. You see such coins all the time! Why in the name of personal finances would anyone voluntarily pay extra taxes and fees for something? What's this horrible fear people have of possibly losing $20 when they are guaranteed to lose $30 if they foolishly certify unworthy coins? This is possibly my main driving force. (And this doesn't even take into account CAC.)

I adamantly believe $500 is, as a rule of thumb, the minimum value of coins that should be certified. Even then, the tax hit is pretty steep, at well over 5%, but at least then you are in the realm of appreciation just by inflation.

I think you have got me on the tax thing? I don't think I have ever been taxed to get a coin graded???

I think it is called an "analogy" or example (the tax reference)--I get many coins graded that are worth less than $500, however I do understand the point James. "In the name of personal finances" a $30 coin in a $20 slab may take 20 years to be valued at the total "package" rate of $50 that the slabber paid for it...

Great poll, Tim!

(thumbs u