• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess My Classic Head Half Grade!

8 posts in this topic

It does have virtual Mint State sharpness. I'd grade it AU-58, but I don't like the green spot that is to the left of the 13th star in the obverse. That one could be active, and it's shame that the coin is in a slab becuase you can't get to it.

Sorry to worry you, but active spots like that on copper can become a problem.

As for the what the TPG called it, it could be anywhere from AU-55 because of the spots to MS-61.

Nice original coin . I am going to be bold and go with MS62 although I think Bill and James are better qualified to grade one of these then me.

I think the verdigris on the coin is minor and is blown up a lot because of the size of the picture. Still it is something you don’t want on a coin. I have a PCGS Au 55 Bust Half that has Verdigris on it also.

I don't mind the dark brown or black spots so much. It would be better if the coin didn't have them, but they are a natural situation with copper from this era. It's the spots with the green centers that bother me. Those suckers, especially in a slab, which can be a moisture trap, are reason for concern.

It's the spots with the green centers that both me. Those suckers, especially in a slab, which can be a moisture trap, are reason for concern.

Yep, I agree. Green corrosion is literally cancer for copper. It will grow - it's just a matter of when.

Sticking my neck out on this one. The eyebrow is the "first thing to go" in this series but on your coin (nice original looking piece by the way) I don't see the flatness as seen on AU pieces. I think it's an unc, but the uneven brown tones I think limit the grade to maybe MS 60 or 61. Personally, I think she's a nice looking coin!