• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay seller relists known counterfeit coin

14 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140266607642&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

I returned this 1928 Peace dollar to the seller 2 weeks ago because it was a counterfeit (altered 1928-S). The coin did not show any of the known characteristics of the 3 known obverse dies and also under a loupe, had tooling marks where the S mintmark was removed. This finding was confirmed by a well respected local NGC coin dealer. The seller was informed of this and had granted me a refund (which I have yet to receive).

So... no refund yet and the seller has the nerve to relist the coin as genuine.

With all due respect, who is this counterfeit known to? You and an anonymous dealer, however respected he may be? If you suspected the seller of passing off a counterfeit coin, shouldn't you have filed a claim with eBay? You asked for a refund, one was granted, and now the seller is back at it. This guy may not have any scruples, but under these circumstances, why would anyone expect eBay to do anything? Unless it can be determined as a counterfeit from the small pictures in the listing, how does anyone know for sure?

Read the first post. There are toolmarks from removal of the "S: Mintmark and the coin has been tagged as an altered S Mint counterfeit by a qualified dealer. Plus, the buyers money has yet to be refunded. That is pretty compelling evidence that the coin is altered and therefore counterfeit. Plus the coin is advertised as VF and has been cleaned. Mark T has proposed the best response to this issue.

A "not as described" dispute has been open with Ebay since my discovery about 3 weeks ago. I'm about to move it to the next level if I don't get my check tomorrow. I was pretty disgusted to see the coin back on the market, from the same seller, of all things.

With all due respect, who is this counterfeit known to? You and an anonymous dealer, however respected he may be?

The coin was inspected by both Redmond Rare Coins (certified NGC dealer) and Gene L. Henry, one of the biggest wholesale dealer here in the Northwest. They both came to the conclusion that it's not genuine.

I had an off-line discussion with jman425 regarding this coin, and agreed that it is very suspect. 1928 Peace dollar is one of those coins I would almost always recommend certification for (or a very good money-back guarantee).

Sent this to the seller:

Can I get a closeup picture of the mintmark area? It looks as if the MM has been removed and I would like to make sure prior to placing a bid on a key coin like this one.

Let's see what kind of response is received.

Oh and I would definitely negative the seller.

Of course after you get your money back ..

Wonder if this will get their attention :

:Listing Violations:

:Fraudulent Listing

:You suspect the listing is Fraudulent and did not bid

:This coin has been discussed on the NGC boards and is a KNOWN counterfeit - cancel this auction!

Probably not. You haven't given them any real meat. Better would be this.

This coin has been examined in hand by a previous purchaser and was found to have had the mintmark removed. It has been shown to two long term professional dealers, one of whom (Redmond Rare Coins) is an authorized submission dealer for NGC, one of the two top coin certifications services. Both of these dealers agree that the coin has been altered and is NOT a 1928 no mintmark Peace Dollar. The auction needs to be canceled.

This lets them know that it isn't just an opinion someone is making based on a picture. Instead three people (including one with possibly professional training) have actually examined the coin in person and come to this conclusion. Makes for a much stronger argument.

Probably not. You haven't given them any real meat. Better would be this.

This coin has been examined in hand by a previous purchaser and was found to have had the mintmark removed. It has been shown to two long term professional dealers, one of whom (Redmond Rare Coins) is an authorized submission dealer for NGC, one of the two top coin certifications services. Both of these dealers agree that the coin has been altered and is NOT a 1928 no mintmark Peace Dollar. The auction needs to be canceled.

This lets them know that it isn't just an opinion someone is making based on a picture. Instead three people (including one with possibly professional training) have actually examined the coin in person and come to this conclusion. Makes for a much stronger argument.

Well spoken, on all counts.

Just checked the listing again and...

The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the listing.
I'm sure that's the only reason they closed it... how many of you reported thissun to ebay? I was about to when I found it was closed.

Thanks everyone. Got a quick email that check w/ tracking number is on the way. Great job on getting this auction down. Keep an eye on it popping up elsewhere.

James - The picture I sent you has been replaced now with a certified 1928. Good eye, as always.