• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help re: circulated Jeffersons from 40s - 60s

6 posts in this topic

I have about 20 rolls of circulated Jefferson Nickels from the 40's, 50's and 60's that my dad hoarded and gave to me. I have no use for them, but I am unsure what to do with them.

Can't imagine putting them on Ebay because I guess shipping costs would be prohibitive. There is a local coin auction, but doubt they would bring more than the auction's commission.

So what do I do with them? Cash them in for face value? Any suggestions?

Maybe you could get with a local coin dealer or such and start a give away contest for young collectors to get them interested in the hobby/ Just an idea; borrowed from another board.

Coin collectors week is coming in March (I think) and some people will try to circulate odd denominations and older coins to get more people, especially children, interested in coins. It's a good idea anytime but more kids might be on the lookout then.

Gunsmoke - I recently put together two albums of circulated Jeffersons 1938-1964 from just such a set as you are describing. I used inexpensive Dansco albums. These I will give to desirous kids or people who want to collect but who cannot. They look great, by the way. It's surprising what the presentation alone can do for the appeal of the coins.

Hoot

Good point about the presentation. Common classics donated to local charities for raffle in framed holders make more money than a rare Morgan lying around loose. Auction the loose coins and every state quarter collector develops a discerning eye and becomes an expert.