• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any good way to tell a difference between polished coin from PL coin from image?

9 posts in this topic

Any good way to tell a difference between polished coin from PL coin just from images?

osamu5102000-img600x450-1221383903z.jpg

osamu5102000-img600x450-1221383903g.jpg

I'm thinking of bidding on this lot, but the right coin looks odd.

I'm afraid it might be polised, but I'm not sure.

Can you tell it's not PL coin and just polished from the images?

If so, what's the telltale sign?

To me it looks as if the lighting and the position of the coin to the camera changed with every image. That sure makes it tough. The top left image looks to show some luster and the top right looks PL. The bottom two don't help me.

Sorry, Taro, I sure can't tell from the images. Does the seller have a good enough reputation so that you feel you could ask him and get an informed and honest answer?

Auctually, his image is better than average photographer when you look through yahoo japan so I can't ask him for better images :/

Whenever I bid on items from this local auction site, I have to read between the lines how the coin look in person. SOmetimes I win and sometimes I lose.

I have been looking for a PL example of this type, but I decided to pass this lot and wait for another example with better images whitch makes me more comfortable to place bid.

Thank you folks for your opinions.

That's exactly what I think when I see a poor images on ebay.

But this is yahoo Japan and I'm afraid many Japanese don't know how to use macro mode.

As I wrote above, his image is average here in Japan...... :/

If photographed properly, is it easy to tell PL coin from polished coin?