• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mystery Coin

9 posts in this topic

I've been puzzled for years trying to identify the country of origin of this coin, the year it was minted and the denomination. It's slightly larger then an American penny, being 2 cm in diameter and apparently of copper composition. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. [

65519.jpg.2dfbc50d5afc63b2c6d00243f792e21c.jpg

Well I tried to figure it out. I can tell you without a doubt that the picture on the left is upside down, and that the coin comes from a country that was once a part of the Ottoman Empire, but more than that I can't do. The emblem on the obverse (the left picture), is the emblem that is on almost all Ottoman Empire coinage.

The key is in the bottom half of the inner circle on the right hand picture. The top half says "Was struck in" and the mint name in the lower half I haven't tried tracking it down yet (The -script can be kind of hard to read, especially if you don't have the coin in hand) but I can definitely say it is not Misr (Egypt) or Constantinople (Turkey) which are the two most commonly seen.

definately Turkish/Ottoman...these are hard to identify for me because I simply don't have the eye to differentiate the -script from the design (especially from a picture)

I suspect that the denomination is a 1,5, or 10 Para ( only paras are made of copper)maybe an Akche

I looked through the different sultanates ( coinage changes each time the Sultan did) and saw no exact matches but several werew close..

The Selim III sultanate from 1789-1807 has a silver with a virtually identical obverse--the reverse is rather unique in style with the circular writing

I have been informed that the coin was issued by the Indian Pincely State of Hyderabad. The denomination is of 2 pai and was issued at the beginning of the 20th century. The date may be 1323(AH) at the bottom of the toughra (which is the calligrafic name of maharaja Mir Mahbub Ali Khan II (1869-1911). 1323AH is 1905 or 1906AD.