• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you resubmit?SLQ

16 posts in this topic

I'm drooling over this one. I'd really like to add it to my collection,but it's out of the question right now. One big reason I want it, is it's graded AU 58 FH by NGC so it won't be stupid money and I really think it's a big upgrade candidate. Take a look at these pics and tell me why AU58,please? I'm seeing MS 64 or better . What am I missing? I know things can be hidden/missed in photos but these seem decent.Thanks

65459.jpg.3a87284257d79daaa48bb32216b59fa4.jpg

65460.jpg.b956ee8ffcc233965afeff43cff9442c.jpg

The coin has a rub on the knee for starters, and there appears to be a gentle light rub down Ms. Liberty's body.

I don't see an up-grade unless the coin is over graded to MS-62. In a way I'm surprised that it's not in an MS-62 holder because quite often SLQs with rub on the knee are given that grade. From that aspect this coin would be a good buy if the asking price is in the MS-60 price neighborhood.

One of the comments many have made about a true AU-58 is that it is an MS-63 with a slight rub. I think that's what you see here.

It is hard to tell from this picture but like the others have said here , if there is any sign of rub your chances for a decent upgrade are slim to none. It is a very nice looking coin and like Bill Jones said I am also surprised it is only Au58 . There is only a $ 100 price difference from AU58 to MS 62 , the cost to resubmit would probably be around $ 40 so is it really worth it ? I doubt this coin is an MS64 OR MS63 but I can not tell from the photo you provided. Also take into consideration that NGC and PCGS have tightened up and become more conservative.

The scratch thru the R and T will keep it AU and maybe a bag next time.

It is still a nice coin.

While I believe that the coin is AU, that scratch, alone, would/should have no bearing on an MS vs. an AU grade. Such a flaw could cause a body-bag on a coin or a lower MS grade than an MS coin would otherwise receive, but it doesn't make an MS coin an AU coin.

Hey guys,

Thanks for pointing all these things out. The only thing I could see on my monitor was the ding on the R. Thought the small line could be a die break(maybe). The leg looks fine to me. It's either my monitor,the pictures or my eyes. I would have bid AU money on this if I had it.Maybe down the road

I meant to add,the biggest reason I thougt MS on this is because of this SLQ AU 55 graded by PCGS.I know it's a crappy picture but it Makes you wonder.Pete

65482.jpg.05739ce7f70b06e13d9f985427541b77.jpg

The 1929 AU55 PCGS looks over graded from image you have submitted. Comparing it to the 1917 SLQ I can see where you would be thinking MS, but as the others have noted the '17 will not upgrade much, if any. I do like the detail on the shield of the '17. That's an area often overlooked in this series.

Hey guys,

Thanks for pointing all these things out. The only thing I could see on my monitor was the ding on the R. Thought the small line could be a die break(maybe). The leg looks fine to me. It's either my monitor,the pictures or my eyes. I would have bid AU money on this if I had it.Maybe down the road

I meant to add,the biggest reason I thougt MS on this is because of this SLQ AU 55 graded by PCGS.I know it's a crappy picture but it Makes you wonder.Pete

Even if the above example is accurately graded, I wouldn't recommend comparing a Type 1 SLQ to a T-2.

To echo Mark's statement; it is tough to compare a type I SLQ that has the quintessential quality strike with a type III SLQ that is known to have more than its fair share of poorly struck coins. Regardless, if there is any wear at all on the 1917 then it should be limited to the AU grade.

You guys are all right. Apples and Oranges.And you can't go by one bad picture either.

I didn't mean to imply I only looked at one. Nooo. I look at dozens before I buy something unfamiliar.

But I still see more AU SLQ's like the 29 rather than the 17. I would be very happy to own that '17,but not the '29.

You can't compare a Type I Standing Liberty quarter with the Type II and Type III coins. The Type I is almost always a stronger strike and will almost always have more detail in the same grade. As a matter of fact the grading guides have a separate set of photos for Type I quarters and Types II and III quarters.