• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You WILL NOT believe my latest acquisition!!!

94 posts in this topic

Oh well, these are just some things I thought of. I don't blame the OP'er to be upset about his damaged coin. I would also think that NCS would give a full explanation has to how the damage occured, if it occured while in thier possession performing these scientific analysis's on it. (shrug)

I re-read it to make sure, and he did say in the first post that the coin was broken during the encapsulation process. I'd be very curious to hear what NCS gave as the details, if any, about that, as the sonic welding could lead to trouble if there was a fissure in the coin to begin with, but "during the encapsulation process" opens up a number of potentially interesting possibilities strictly from a learning standpoint. I've been under the impression that the encapsulation process simply involves putting the coin in the appropriate insert within two halves of the plastic holder then the sonic welding, but it'd be interesting to hear the details if there is more to the process. One thing I've learned about coins (and most things, generally) is that there is always a good excuse to learn something, especially in (to my knowledge, limited though it may be) rather odd circumstances like this. Though the frustration of the situation you're in with this may be overwhelming, if you have more detail it would be a great opportunity for the rest of us to have more information to consider in the future should anyone want to send something to NCS for conservation.

Please don't be put off too badly by people's initial reactions, in most cases it's likely just a matter of seeing posts with similar traits often enough to have it be something that gets under a person's skin a bit. There are a lot of great people here with an amazing amount of knowledge (and enough time here to get a bit twitchy with these kinds of posts) and are generally all more than willing to pass that knowledge on to other collectors. It's like any situation, though, and the more information one can provide in asking a question, the better answer you'll wind up getting, and likely will get a much friendlier response because the persons looking to answer the question won't be frustrated by a lack of information making it tough to answer a question. I can't recall, but hopefully better sense kicked in when I was thinking of posting a thread venting about an issue I had in submitting a coin to NGC a number of months back, but I think it happens to everyone once in a while.

Sorry for the thread necro, but I was intrigued by the mention of things going wrong in the encapsulation process and was hoping that he might be good enough to return to expand on that, if there is any more information available.

It's better to give information in bits and pieces to waste everyone's time. ;)
That was quite funny, considering the thread that led to your response above. (thumbs u

On a more serious note, however, thus far, this thread has served as another good example of why it is better to provide as many relevant facts/details as possible. For all we know, the original poster might have a perfectly valid claim and deserve considerable empathy. But, because there is a lot of missing information, most of the replies have been other than sympathetic. That might be a shame, or as it should be, depending on "the rest of the story".

Less than sympathetic. You guys tied this guy to a tree and beat him unmercifully with the branches. He has two posts and based on the reaction of the board members, I would be willing to bet he never makes it to double digits.

He is a new member in need of guidance not attacks. The OP should have provided more information in his post, but he is obviously not aware of the etiquette related to this forum. Additionally, maybe he signs all of his correspondence with PHD. We can't assume that he did that to lend credibility to his claim.

All this thread has accomplished is to run off a fellow numismatist by making it very clear that he is not welcome here.

PS. I am just giving my opinion and am not claiming to be mature enough not to engage it what is IMO juvenile behavior.

Paul, CHA

I agree with Paul. I am very new to this forum and the NGC registry, but have read a few posts where people we're talking about sueing each other, being served, etc., and I was very suprised. I also subscribe to US Coin Forum's but like Collector's Society better because it seems people are more educated about conservation techniqes and open to the subject. The moderatator on the US Coin Forum's shoots all such discussions down. However, hopefully you guys who know more than us new guys can help out. More people interested does raise coins values over time (maybe some aren't happy about that?). I have learned a lot from the little time I have been reading these posts, but feel I better write some thorough and logical posts. I don't want to be feed to dogs like this dude was. Anyway, can't we just all get along? Seriously, overall people seem pretty friendly, but maybe the moderator could jump in as needed and balance things out.

I’d almost bet this early European coin was broken in half when the coin was being inserted into the gasket. There is no inexpensive way a company can stock all the gasket sizes for every coin ever produced, so I would imagine a dimensional check was made and the closest hole size was selected for that particular foreign coin. The condition of the coin did not help matters when pressure was applied to overcome the slight amount of friction that keeps the coin from rotating once in the holder. ~tink~ Good-bye Joe!

Because of such diversities with world coins, one has to remember that the company, NCS in this case, is protecting it’s services with warranty guarantees as stated. In order to include all the possibilities of problems they may encounter with coins, any coins, such as their composition, age, condition, and so forth, their liability has to come to a finite point and will be all inclusive. It just makes good business sense and they need to be firm when making judgment.

Course this is all speculation…only the insiders know what really happened to the OP’s coin.

Woody, UHK

(Graduated with honors, University of Hard Knocks)