• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1876 double dimes

15 posts in this topic

Paul Green writes in this article in Numismatic News that there is little demand for 1876 20 centers, thus there is very little price premium for the date despite its low mintage.

Have you found this to be true?

I have found so few circulated 1876 double dimes at shows and dealers that I don't have much of a sample to work from. The 1875-S is everywhere, but 1875 and 1876 examples are fairly scarce. Sellers like to point to the low mintages, but buyers generally don't seem to care too much. I don't think I have ever seen an 1876 double dime in the G range, so they probably didn't circulate all that much.

The mintage on the 1876 is very low (15,900), but the vast majority of collectors are only interested in a type coin, and the 1875-S fills the slot. Years ago I thought about putting together a set of 20 cent pieces. When I was in high school in the 1960s I put together the four coin business strike set. The trouble was my inability to afford the Proof-only 1877 and 1878 limited my interest.

I think you see where collectors minds go on this.

I've been lusting after this 1875 Twenty-center for a while now. What a gorgeous specimen. I lose interest in this coin below XF-the VF specimens are lacking in detail on both the obverse and reverse. You are correct as to their being hardly any lower graded coins for sale. I wish I had the bucks.

Jim

1875TwentyCentPiece.jpg

I find demand for these coins to be quite strong, actually. At my last show, I had no more than three collectors inquire about just that coin. It just so happens I had sold one about a month prior, and could not help them out. When I got out on the floor to look for purchases for myself, I kept throwing an eyeball out for the 1876, and didn't see any available, other than expensive high-grade examples.

There is a very nice lower graded CC 1875 on the bay. If you are looking for a lower graded CC example of this coin, this should fit the bill nicely. I would consider it, if I didn't already own 3 double dimes.

JJ

Here is the coin, appears to have nice even wear and great circulated surfaces.

Nice Coin

Demand may have been much lower when he wrote the article. You have to remember Paul Green has been dead for several years now. The articles you see are recycled and were written years ago.

Interesting discussion. I'm actually in the process of acquiring a 76 double dime in an NGC MS64* holder. The things that drew me to the 76, as opposed to say a 75-S, were the low mintage plus the centennial date.

Demand may have been much lower when he wrote the article. You have to remember Paul Green has been dead for several years now. The articles you see are recycled and were written years ago.

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought he was reporting on the current market.

The highest graded 1876 double dime I bought was one slabbed as AU55 from PCGS. I currently own one in EF. I don't think I've ever seen a '76 in lower than a VF grade.

The 1875-CC and S coins circulated extensively, so I commonly see them from AG to F. If I were to build a grading set, I'd stick with the '75-S.

I have '75-P coins from F to AU55, and they're much easier to find than the '76.

I still kick myself for not bidding higher on a circulated '77 proof at a Heritage or Bowers & Merena Auction 8 years ago. doh!

I only collect circs and thought it'd be cool to include circulated proofs in my set.

I still kick myself for not bidding higher on a circulated '77 proof at a Heritage or Bowers & Merena Auction 8 years ago. doh!

I only collect circs and thought it'd be cool to include circulated proofs in my set.

Was it this one? I bought it in Feb 8, 2000

187720ProofSlab.jpg

Nope. The one I saw had more wear on it and was sold as a raw AU55.