• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Show Report - Parsippany, NJ

6 posts in this topic

Today I went to the show in Parsippany, NJ. Usually this show is a first-Sunday-of-the-month show, but in September they have a three-day (Friday through Sunday) extravaganza. This show usually features 80+ dealers, a wide range of material and lots of floor traffic.

Other show attendees (ATS) have reported that floor traffic was fairly light on Friday and Saturday. Tropical Storm Hanna hit our area about 3:30 or so on Saturday and the heavens really opened!

This morning, I thought the floor was about as crowded as it usually is. There was a smattering of new dealers, but I have to confess that, since I was on a tight schedule, I really didn't get around the floor today.

I stopped to talk to Larry (ATS board member SeaEagleCoins) and introduced myself to his table-mate, ATS board member Barberman55 (who has some really nice Barber and Seated coins!) I saw about three coins I really wanted, but didn't have the money for. Fortunately, Larry and Barberman55 will be sharing a table again at CoinFest in November, so I'll have another shot at his inventory then! While I was there, ATS board member oreville stopped by and we all had a nice chat.

Next, I went over to ATS board member njcoincrank's table and admired his material. While I was talking to him, oreville came by, so, again, we all had a nice chat. Oreville grabbed one of njcoincrank's medals and then I distracted him by pointing out an 1883-O Morgan in an old PCGS slab at the next table (which oreville immediately purchased).

I also spoke to a couple of fellow New Jersey Numismatic Society members, glanced over Tom Hyland's inventory and said hello to Jon Lerner (ATS board member scarsdalecoin).

I must say, what is really fun about talking to widely educated numismatists is that we're all easy to distract: Oh, look, cool numismatic postcards. Wow, look at that medal! Hey, do you like coin glass? Wanna see my David Hall impression? etc., etc. (It makes for a fun time, but you always feel like you never finish a conversation!)

If you have the opportunity to get to a show or coin club meeting - please go!

Numismatics doesn't have to be a solitary pursuit.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Numismatics doesn't have to be a solitary pursuit.

It's starting to look like your post is a solitary pursuit, so let me be the first to say thank you for the report. I really miss the Parsippany shows since moving down south.

Dave

David,

Thanks for replying! (even if it was a pity reply).

You don't have to miss the Parsippany shows - you can come up and visit!

It's always nice to see you at NJNS meetings, too!

(Also, I really like the feature on the NGC board that lets you see how many people have read a post - at least I know that people read it, even if they don't comment, unlike ATS.)

If you have the opportunity to get to a show or coin club meeting - please go!

I'm going to try to make the Biloxi, MS show at the end of this month. (thumbs u

Thanks for the report. How did you manage to get out without buying anything?