• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this make you forget about Fatty Arbuckle?

16 posts in this topic

In 1923 the motion picture industry was having a variety of scandals come to the forefront. Among them was the association of comedian "Fatty" Arbuckle with the death of Virginia Rappe in an orgy in a San Francisco hotel (in 1921).

Through some very convoluted politics to improve the image of Hollywood a Film Festival called the "First Annual American Historical Revue and Motion Picture Industry Exposition, Commemorating the One Hundreth Anniversary of the Monroe Doctrine" was created, and the Monroe Commem coin was created. What Monroe had to do with Los Angeles is anybodies guess, but hey, Congress was always up for a new way to bilk the coin collecting public.

Here's a Monroe (PCGS MS65) I picked up this spring.

The images are by Bob Campbell, and I think he did an excellent job.

Monroe.jpg

MonroeRev.jpg

MonroeRev2.jpg

I agree...the reverse is one of the nicest of the series.

BTW.... I'm waiting for Sky to say...."The images are by so and so, I think he did a really lousy job" lol

Sweet coin and story!

Monroe had nothing to do with Los Angeles, but that was where the exhibition was held.

(I can't help but wonder how many people here had heard of Fatty Arbuckle before they read this thread.)

Nice looker, Zack! (thumbs u

Thanks for the nice comments guys! I find the obverse of the Monroe to be a total snore, but I've always really liked the reverse design, so to find one that had really nice reverse toning made me a very happy camper.

Monroe had nothing to do with Los Angeles, but that was where the exhibition was held.

(I can't help but wonder how many people here had heard of Fatty Arbuckle before they read this thread.)

I saw him at the Panama Pacific Expo in 1915, dagnabbit. I reckon he's retired by now.

I saw him at the Panama Pacific Expo in 1915, dagnabbit. I reckon he's retired by now.

Monroe or Fatty?

Fatty's gotta be the one who done retired 'cause we don't see him at the motion picture house no more. Monroe is still making shock absorbers from what I hear.