• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some advice..

14 posts in this topic

I was at target several months ago and I met this gentleman who had some old coins when he noticed me doing some sleight of hand with a france coin.

He told me he had some old coins and wanted to know the value of them, he said he'd call me. Over 6 months later, he calls me and sends me a photo of some of his coins he wants me to determine their value. I cannot determine the mint mark on them, therefore I cannot determine if they are valueable. He has a 1903 barber dime, a 1923 mercury dime, and a 1926 standing liberty quarter. He also has some 1930's dimes, some 1940' nickels, and one indian head (1937). He also has some wheat cents from the 40s, 50s, and 60s, and also one 1957 and one 1958 silver quarter. He says he has some coins he suspects are worth face value, i..e 1971 and 1978 silver dollars. (I don't think they made silver dollars on those dates, I think he's talking about the clad ike dollars)

I can't tell the mint marks from the pictures he gave me. Are those dates with the combatinations of all the mint marks any of them valueable?

Thanks

Here is a place to help you get started, pricewise. (But check some other sources to get a good average price.)

Numismedia Price Guide

The site seemed to be broken when I went there. I could bring up the front page, but none of the series' pages.

Ok I found the answers from coinfacts and numismedia.

The coins he showed me in the picture are in almost junk silver condition, they are very well worn. I'd say G maybe VG, the dime might be vf, and the quarter might be fine.

Let me know what you think....if this is good I'll send it over to him.

A 1903 barber dime in Good 4 condition from a P (no mintmark) philadelphia mint

is worth 2 bucks, a 1903 O (New orleans) barber dime is worth 6 bucks in G4

a 1903 S barber dime in G4 is worth significantly more, 83 dollars!

So if you see an S mintmark (san fransico) you've hit the bank!

Mintmarks: the mintmark appears as a small letter just below the wreath on the reverse, as follows:

None = Philadelphia

O = New Orleans

S = San Francisco

D = Denver

Six different punches were used to make the mintmarks on Barber Dimes, as follows:

San Francisco (three):

1) 1892-1899 - previously used on Seated Liberty Dimes - fat S with tall serifs and loops that are almost completely closed.

2) 1899-1911 - wider and thinner S with loops that are slightly more open and serifs that are not as tall and have a slightly rounded appearance.

3) 1912-1916 - thinner and taller than the preceding, but with smaller serifs and loops that are more open.

Denver (one):

4) 1906-1914

New Orleans (two):

5) 1892-1909 - previously used on Seated Liberty Dimes - fat sides connected by thin lines at top and bottom.

6) 1905 - "Micro" mintmark

a 1923 philadalphia mint mark and a 1923 S mint mark are worth the same, 2 dollars.

(For the mercury dime)

Mintmarks: the mintmark appears as a small letter just to the right of the E of ONE on the reverse:

None = Philadelphia

S = San Francisco

D = Denver

The last coin you showed me, is a standing liberty quarter.

In G4 condition, P mint mark it is worth 5, in 1926 Denver mint mark (D)

it is worth $7, and S (san fransico) slightly less 5 dollars.

Mintmarks: The mintmark appears as a small letter just below the eagle's tail on the reverse, as follows:

None = Philadelphia

S = San Francisco

D = Denver

You should have picked up a Redbook before you bought your first coin.

These items are likely worth not much more than melt value. Also, Indian cents were last minted in 1909, and Wheat cents in 1958.

You should have picked up a Redbook before you bought your first coin.

These items are likely worth not much more than melt value. Also, Indian cents were last minted in 1909, and Wheat cents in 1958.

Yeah, I had one. Used to have one...not sure what happened to it.

I knew that,but if he had a S mint mark barber dime it could potentially be worth alot....

A 1903 barber dime in Good 4 condition from a P (no mintmark) philadelphia mint

is worth 2 bucks, a 1903 O (New orleans) barber dime is worth 6 bucks in G4

a 1903 S barber dime in G4 is worth significantly more, 83 dollars!

So if you see an S mintmark (san fransico) you've hit the bank!

Mintmarks: the mintmark appears as a small letter just below the wreath on the reverse, as follows:

None = Philadelphia

O = New Orleans

S = San Francisco

D = Denver

Six different punches were used to make the mintmarks on Barber Dimes, as follows:

San Francisco (three):

1) 1892-1899 - previously used on Seated Liberty Dimes - fat S with tall serifs and loops that are almost completely closed.

2) 1899-1911 - wider and thinner S with loops that are slightly more open and serifs that are not as tall and have a slightly rounded appearance.

3) 1912-1916 - thinner and taller than the preceding, but with smaller serifs and loops that are more open.

Denver (one):

4) 1906-1914

New Orleans (two):

5) 1892-1909 - previously used on Seated Liberty Dimes - fat sides connected by thin lines at top and bottom.

6) 1905 - "Micro" mintmark

a 1923 philadalphia mint mark and a 1923 S mint mark are worth the same, 2 dollars.

(For the mercury dime)

Mintmarks: the mintmark appears as a small letter just to the right of the E of ONE on the reverse:

None = Philadelphia

S = San Francisco

D = Denver

The last coin you showed me, is a standing liberty quarter.

In G4 condition, P mint mark it is worth 5, in 1926 Denver mint mark (D)

it is worth $7, and S (san fransico) slightly less 5 dollars.

Mintmarks: The mintmark appears as a small letter just below the eagle's tail on the reverse, as follows:

None = Philadelphia

S = San Francisco

D = Denver

Looks good to me!

The only thing I might mention is that the Redbook is a retail price guide, and he can expect to get less than that in most cases when he goes to sell.

Well done, Kevin.....Mike

Kevin Numismedia price guide is pie in the sky prices when selling as is red book.

To get a closer price when selling try the Blue Book same guy as the Red Book .

Example Red Book 1903 BARBER DIME G4==$2.50 Same coin in the Blue book. ====== 90 CENTS

1903 O G4=$4.00 RED BOOK ===Blue book $1.50 both books are 2007 edition's

I think the information about the different punches used on the Barber dimes is just going to add to the confusion without adding any useful information.

Also, it sounds like you are describing the location of the mintmark on a Barber quarter instead of a Standing Liberty quarter.