• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

braille coin...

8 posts in this topic

i am looking at one of the newer mags i get "the numismatist" and it has a artical on a 2009 silver dollar with louis braille on obv. what are the thoughts out there on this? is this a commem or just one of many new dollars.

It is a commemorative to commemorate the 200th birthday of the Frenchman who invented the Braille alphabet for the blind. While his invention is great, I think it would be important to celebrate the anniversary of the invention in 2021, but frankly I think the person and the invention would be more appropriate as a subject for a commemorative French coin. I guess they couldn't find enough American subjects to make commems for to sell so they went looking for foreign subjects they could make coins for to sell. Just like the Marshall Islands, Isle of Man and Liberia do. Welcome to membership in the Numismatic Banana Republics.

I figure since most blind folk in the U.S. probably use Braille and they all benefit from its use that commemorating a frenchman is not such a bad thing.

Braille was formally taught in the United States before it was taught in France. In fact, Louis Braille died before the Braille lettering system was taught in France.

Besides... what difference does it make where he's from? A great discovery that has helped millions should be commemorated! Geez... must xenophobia enter into numismatic discussions? :frustrated:

Scott :hi:

a coin you can feel like it. Now some clever people need to start a grading service using blind graders but only grade say 1000 of them and the ones with visible fingerprints will sell at a premium .like first strike

No xenophobia intended, I just feel it is more appropriate that a person should be honored, at least at first, by his own country. And you will note from my first post that I have no problem with honoring the invention because it IS a great one. But its bicentennial anniversary isn't until 2021.