• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Could this 1819 1c benefit from conservation?

2 posts in this topic

I know it's difficult from photo's but I'd thought I'd take a shot. I used 3 different lightings. Obviously my photo skills are limited. The coin resides in a PCGS MS63RB holder and I wouldn't want to risk a process that would cause the coin to be unable to get back into a PCGS or NGC holder. Ultimitaley I would be hoping to get this coin into one of the new to come NGC holders with the edge view. In my opinion the brown on this coin is really more of a dirt haze (I lack a better term) on a red coin (with the exception of the cheek which looks like it has turned brown) I'm not expecting to see this coin in a red holder but if all that dirt haze was able to be removed this very nice coin could become an awesome coin. What do you think and what is the proccess for sending a coin in for conservation then in a NGC holder. Thank you

1819obv1.jpg

1819rev1.jpg

1819obv3.jpg

1819rev3.jpg

1819obv2.jpg

1819rev2.jpg

Your images provide a good example of one of the problems with attempting to evaluate a coin for conservation from an image. In the second set of images there would appear to be a bright red spot on the coin which on its own would be difficult to determine if the spot is on the coin, on the holder, or a function of the image. With your other images it would appear to be a function of the image.

Despite the variety of images you have provided I would not be able to give any specific information. In general, there would appear to be some areas of residue that could be addressed through conservation. I am making this determination from the appearance of similiar coins that have been submitted through NCS. Once your coin is in hand, however, there could be a different determination. I would suggest that it would be worth your while to submit the coin for full evaluation and possible conservation.

Chris, NCS