• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Show Report - Clifton, NJ

10 posts in this topic

Today I went to the monthly show at Clifton, NJ, which usually has about 25-30 dealers. The show was about normal today, no empty tables and good floor traffic. This show usually features low-priced material (mint products, raw coins, slabbed coins under $250, that sort of thing).

I didn't see much of anything exciting today, as I expected. I didn't take the time to look through the inventory of checks that one dealer usually has, but I saw some interesting postcards of the town where I live.

I saw an 1847 seated dollar in an NGC-50 slab that looked like it had been dipped - the color was "wrong" and there was no luster on the coin, not even between the letters. In fact the entire surface of the coin was the same color - no luster, no toning, no lighter color due to wear on the high points, nothing. It was cheap, just below Bid, but I passed.

I did see some interesting dark side coins, including two Napoleon I 20 Franc pieces.

For those of you who are following my search for a cheap early NGC slab. . .

(Speaking of which, did you notice that my post on slabs almost got more attention than all of my other posts put together - 320 views and 13 replies! That must mean something, but I don't know what. Yes, I do - you don't care about my posts on no-motto gold or my coin show reports, but when I talk about plastic you love it. Plastic!! Perhaps I'll sulk for a while. 893frustrated.gif)

Anyway, now that I'm looking for them, I saw more early NGC slabs than I expected - about half a dozen NGC 4s (Plain label, no bar code, no line, full width hologram, used 1989-1992) and four or five NGC 5s (Plain label with bar code, no line, full width hologram, used 1992-1997). Again, the cheapest decent coin I saw was an MS-67 1943-S cent in an NGC5 holder for $65. I did see an MS-63 1883-O Morgan for $45, but it looked like it had file marks across Liberty's hair - adjustment marks? I've never seen that before. I also saw about the darkest toned Frankie you ever saw in an MS-65 holder. It was hard to see the luster through the toning. How did that get a 65?

Ah well, the search continues!

(Speaking of which, did you notice that my post on slabs almost got more attention than all of my other posts put together - 320 views and 13 replies! That must mean something, but I don't know what. Yes, I do - you don't care about my posts on no-motto gold or my coin show reports, but when I talk about plastic you love it. Plastic!! Perhaps I'll sulk for a while. )

sign-funnypost.gif

Dave, if it makes you feel any better, I always enjoy reading your coin show reports. Your posts on no-motto gold, now that’s a different story....Just kidding! grin.gif

John

Wihlborg: Thanks for the kind words about my show reports. (Actually, if no one likes my posts on no-motto gold, that makes me happy, since there will be more for me!!)

RobertB: Perhaps I should have said "lower" priced material. Besides when I go to Parsippany, I say "high" priced material for my description of slabbed coins over $250!

It was cheap, just below Bid, but I passed.

Remember that there's no Santa Claus in the coin biz. That Seated Dollar was priced apparently cheap for a reason, and probably not really cheap after all.

Glad that you passed on it. The 1847 is probably the most common of the N/M dates after the 59-O and the 60-O. In avg circ, the 1847 may even be the most common. I'd rather see you maintain your patience and wait for a pleasing, original specimen in avg circ (and pay commensurate with its quality) than to buy a POS for under bid. Bottom line: more people will pay up for a quality specimen than pay down for a POS.

I once had a raw, ChF 1849 specimen that was original and very eye appealing. I carried it around with me for a number of years as a good luck piece (in a flip, of course!). This was a piece that I'm sure that everyone who sees it would've appreciated it for its pleasing originality and problem-free aspect. I had it at a show and was holding it in my hand. Along came some stranger who wanted that coin so badly that he almost lost decorum. I named my price -- a bit over bid -- and he tried to nibble. I smiled and motioned to put the coin back into my pocket and walk away. The guy couldn't pull out his wad fast enough!

Honestly, I want that coin back. But, I'm also glad that it went to a collector who really seemed to be able to cherish it. My only real regret is that I couldn't place the coin with someone around here who I sorta know.

EVP

(Speaking of which, did you notice that my post on slabs almost got more attention than all of my other posts put together - 320 views and 13 replies! That must mean something, but I don't know what. Yes, I do - you don't care about my posts on no-motto gold or my coin show reports, but when I talk about plastic you love it. Plastic!! Perhaps I'll sulk for a while. )

Oh, Dave, don't be so hard on yourself. While it may be true that none of us cares about your posts on coin show reports, and it is definitely true that none of us cares about your posts on no-motto gold, I can assure you that truly no one cares about your posts concerning plastic! 893whatthe.gif Just trying to make you feel better. wink.gif

Oh, Dave, don't be so hard on yourself. While it may be true that none of us cares about your posts on coin show reports, and it is definitely true that none of us cares about your posts on no-motto gold, I can assure you that truly no one cares about your posts concerning plastic! Just trying to make you feel better.

sign-funnypost.gif ROTFLMAO! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Tom, I like Dave's show reports. Now his posts about no-motto gold....Just kidding! grin.gif

John

(Speaking of which, did you notice that my post on slabs almost got more attention than all of my other posts put together - 320 views and 13 replies! That must mean something, but I don't know what. Yes, I do - you don't care about my posts on no-motto gold or my coin show reports, but when I talk about plastic you love it. Plastic!! Perhaps I'll sulk for a while. 893frustrated.gif)

Ok now, group hug for Dave. confused-smiley-013.gif No, well how about a group shrug?

Thanks for your supportive words everyone, I feel so much better now! grin.gif

TomB: you may fool some people, but I know you live for plastic! (Especially when it's around one of your truly uninteresting AT Washington quarters!) devil.gif

(now your 1796 quarter - that's a COIN!)

EVP: I'm very fussy when it comes to Seated dollars. I want original surfaces and toning that I find reasonably attractive. Very hard to find.

I've learned my lesson about coins I'm not in love with. I bought a raw 1855 eagle a few years ago that had a big rim ding. I got it cheap and it was an otherwise nice coin, but within a week, whenever I looked at the coin, all I could see was the ding. Fortunately, the dealer who sold it to me took pity on me and gave me a full refund.