• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Dollars, Proof, NCG Verified or Unverifed

7 posts in this topic

Firstly hey to the forum and peeps.

Ive recently takern up coin collecting casually and seen some 2008 American Silver Dollars and wondered, having looked on NGC ive seen that there have been 1494 NGC70 coins. Is it worth generally coin related, getting a 70 coin or just a COA proof coin, cnsidering theve recently stop minting the 2008's. Will the value likely go up much, would it be better getting a proof and saving the difference for another coin.

Im uk based other then ebay which sites do people know which are trustworthy (off course ebay is also a gameble).

Thx.

First, welcome to the forum... the premium placed on 70 ASE is hotly contested. I think you will find that many classic coin collectors scoff at the idea as a marketing ploy. While modern collectors strive to buy the best Third Party grade available. To complicate the debate, many consider ASE as bullion pieces and not circulating coinage.

Your mission is to apply your own premium.

Good luck.

I agree with Dave, you should buy what you want, but I fall into the "classic coin collector" category.Try and find the difference between a PF69 and a PF70 coin. I challenge you. Me? I sure can't find a difference. Apply that as you will...

Having a COA means that atleast i know being a real coin i can always send to NGC if I get some coins together i feel are worth grading. I fiqure a Proof is likely to be in the 68+ grade.I'll pass then and see what the coins like when it arrives, was the price i paid reasonable ?

Cheers for the reply, the research is the hard bit at the moment, so much information.

Take your time. If you are like the rest of us you have more time than money so use your time ( research ) wisely so you can make your purchases wisely :)