• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1993 Lincoln Cent

7 posts in this topic

I have a 1993 Lincoln Cent that it quite odd looking. First, it has almost a "grain" texture to it, and is darker than any I have seen for that era. Secondly, there are very small raised "bumps" around Lincoln's head and above the "In God We Trust", and on the reverse around the memorial. The "93" on the obverse is a bit worn, as well as the "LIB" in liberty, yet no other areas are. I'll try to post some pictures asap. Anyone have an idea so far?

Thanks

First of all, Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

It sounds like a problem with the outer copper layer not adhering properly to the zinc planchet. Tiny bubbles of air trapped between the two layers have expanded, causing the bumps you describe. This is a "mint error", but a very common one.

It sounds to me possibly like a Zincoln that has had it's copper layer removed they often have a dull or dark gray color and a pimply grainy surface.

First of all, Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood!

It sounds like a problem with the outer copper layer not adhering properly to the zinc planchet. Tiny bubbles of air trapped between the two layers have expanded, causing the bumps you describe. This is a "mint error", but a very common one.

.........i agree. :popcorn: